Films at the Chantry Centre

Everything has to fit somewhere! Anything else related to Dursley's past.
Heslop

Films at the Chantry Centre

Post by Heslop »

I see they are going to start showing films at the Chantry Centre (used to be known as the Lister's Club). I wondered when Dursley lost the two cinemas, the Odeon and the Regal?

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: Films at the Chantry Centre

Post by dursleyglos »

Hello Ron

The auditorium being used as a cinema in Dursley is still called the Lister Hall, but this is part of the overall Chantry Centre.

The 300 seat Victoria Cinema in Silver Street (which became the Odeon in 1937) closed in the 1950s, having initially operated as a Temperance Hall and then a live theatre.

The Regal was a 658 seat cinema which opened at Kingshill on 16th December 1937. It was very successful for a long time but towards the end of its life it was also used for bingo in conjunction with films. It finally closed on 22nd June 1977 and a few months later it was converted to a Kwik-Save supermarket. The buildings weren't demolished until July 1993 when new supermarket buildings were constructed and the site now operates as LIDL.

I hope that helps.

Andy
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

Heslop

Re: Films at the Chantry Centre

Post by Heslop »

Thanks Andy, I used to go to Saturday morning pictures when I lived on Highfields Approach! Later I remember a neighbour, Pauline Richings, as a cashier at the "Odeon". Also attended the "Regal when home on leave!!