WORLD WAR 2 IN CAM/DURSLEY

Everything has to fit somewhere! Anything else related to Dursley's past.
Patricia

WORLD WAR 2 IN CAM/DURSLEY

Post by Patricia »

Having watched the BBC programme about Shepton Mallet from Victoria times etc., last week was about the war years, which made me wonder whether Cam and Dursley had air raid shelters or if everyone sat under a table or in the cupboard under the stairs.

Both my parents are no longer with us and I cannot ask them, but I am sure there are people in Dursley remember World War 2 and what they had done during the air raids.

We lived at the Valley, just past Hopton School and The Croft in Cam during the war and I cannot remember seeing any air raid shelters, except for those near the canteen at Lister's old factory.

My mother and father had travelled to Bristol by train and visited Temple Church (on the Old Castle site near Broadmead). They admired the large Christmas tree in the church then went to the Cinema at the bottom of Union Street. The film stopped half way through a an announcement was made about an air raid and some people left and went to the aid raid shelters, other were able to stay and watch the film. After the film was over my parents walked out to find that church had been bombed, just a shell which can still be seen today.

Jeaw

Re: WORLD WAR 2 IN CAM//DURSLEY

Post by Jeaw »

Just wanted you to know that the only air raid shelter I can remember in Dursley was along Uley Road close to Mawdsleys but across the road in a field. It was built with brick sides and very thick cement roof, very low building with cement seats along each wall. I can't remember the length of the structure and it may have been two separate ones. I also do not remember having a air raid or having to go there as a precaution. What I do remember is laying in bed and hearing planes going overhead and wondering if they were friend or foe!!!! I also remember the home guard on maneuvers creeping around the houses in our neighborhood with their faces painted black and rifles in hand. That was pretty scary. I lived right next to Mawdsley's in First Ave. I also remember the American soldiers being stationed at what was known in my day as The Dursley Secondary Modern School. Actually I think it was a command post and the poor GI's were in tents in the field. We were given lots of chewing gum and candy. Ironically for the past 43 years I have lived in the USA. I had a brother and brother in law that were prisoners of war in Germany and a brother in law who was also a prisoner for four years under the Japanese.
Julie Smith (JEAW)

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Dear Julie

Thank you for your interest, I actually went to Dursley Secondary School at Highfields

Patricia

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

There were air raid shelters on Kingshill Road, next to and opposite the old Regal cinema. R.A. Lister also had its own shelter within the factory site.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

ken

Post by ken »

There were two air raid shelters at Upper Cam, on the small green between what was Champion's shop in the triangle and the farm.

Slasher51

Post by Slasher51 »

For Jeaw,
Just spoken to my Mum. She also lived in First Avenue. She can remember an air raid shelter being at the top of Highfields Approach. One long building with seats all down one side. She can remember playing in the shelter when she was about 9!

Are you the sister of Alan, used to be a postman? If so, then she can remember your family. She was Joan Burton and her dad worked at Lister's. They lived halfway down First Avenue on the RH Side. She also remembers playing with a lad by the name of Derek Summerfield (probably an evacuee) and she can remember Avery Hancock?

Jeaw

Post by Jeaw »

Yes I am Alan Whittard's younger sister. I do remember your mother Joan Burton, she was about my brother's age and lived next door to a White family who also had a daughter "Joan". Where is your mother now? Do they still live in the Dursley area? I have reconnected with another neighbour of theirs who now lives in Australia (Marion Wood). I also remember Derek (the evacuee), I think he lived with the "Smarts". If it is him he had a very attractive older sister that my brother was very sweet on!!!! I do not remember her name though... Great to hear from you, remember me to your mom. Sadly Alan passed away 14 years ago.
JEAW

neil cook

Post by neil cook »

Hi, I've really enjoyed reading your posts. I've lived in Highfields for over 20 years now. I live in Third Avenue in what many say was a police house in their younger years. Highfields has a history of its own.

KGW

Post by KGW »

To JEAW
I just returned from London where I purchased a snuffbox with "A. Whittard, Postman, Dursley" written on it. It sounds like it might have belonged to your brother, Alan.
I joined this forum so I could post this message. I couldn't figure out how to contact you directly. I collect things on my travels, and was just going to see if anything turned up for the name on this box and found this forum. Perhaps you or some other member of your family would like to have this? My wife and I live in Texas. Let me know.
Ken

Jeaw

Re: WORLD WAR 2 IN CAM/DURSLEY

Post by Jeaw »

Hi Ken
Thank you for the information on the snuff box. It sure sounds like it could have been my brother's. He worked at the Dursley Post Office for many years before being promoted to district manager. I would love to have it as all I have is wonderful memories of him. My e-mail is Jupat@columbus.rr.com, would like to hear from you and what attracted you to purchase it! I live in Ohio as I may have mentioned before.
Thank you again
Julie

RigobertoFli

Post by RigobertoFli »

Does anyone have any good pics to share of Dursley during WW2?

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

RigobertoFli wrote:
> Does anyone have any good pics to share of Dursley during WW2?
There are several pictures of Dursley taken during WW2. What subjects are you interested in?
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin