Pub tales

Everything has to fit somewhere! Anything else related to Dursley's past.
dursleyglos
Site Admin

Pub tales

Post by dursleyglos »

Who recalls the many pubs that Dursley used to have in days gone by - The Crown in Long Street, the Lamb Inn next to the Priory, the Star and Boot Inn in Silver Street or maybe the Bell & Castle in Parsonage Street. What were they like? Any good tales to tell? If so please do share them here.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

david william thomas

Re: Pub tales

Post by david william thomas »

Hi Andy I am lucky to say I remember them all and am still here to tell the stories. I was a Mawdsley apprentice from 1961 to 1966, great training and a highly skilled workforce. So sad to see the website of the factory being demolished. Have just emailed a person I knew in Dursley who's name I saw on this website, a DAVE DARBY, so I am hoping he will come back to me. Regards David Thomas.

david william thomas

Post by david william thomas »

Hi Andy. The Lamb Inn on a Friday night was the place to be. A good biker's pub, record on the jukebox, up Long Street, round the market hall, back to the pub before the music stopped. Looking out for P.C. Smith the B-----. Great Days, would love to meet the old gang again. Had a Velocette Viper in those days, great bike. Used to be a girl that came in on a Vincent Comet and she had a Shadow, also lived in Nibley but the name has gone. Still riding myself today but have an old man's bike, a BMW R850R, does the job which is great. Regards David

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

Hi David
Thanks for the memories. I'm still trying to find a photograph of the Lamb Inn - they seem to be very elusive!
Cheers, Andy

christopherwood

Post by christopherwood »

Hi Andy
Just returned from a weekend visit to Dursley and was very saddened to see that there are not many of the old pubs left in town,my favorite haunt was The Cross Keys and on to the Kingshill inn but alas both have now closed and also the kings head is closing as a pub,its very sad, The Old Spot is still going and The Old Bell too.Had a lot of fun watching the punch ups outside the Lamb inn
Regards Chris

Heslop

Post by Heslop »

Disappointed to see no mention of the "Carpenter's Arms" on Uley road or the "New Inn" on Woodmancote! Sad to hear "The King's Head" is closing!

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

You've mentioned them both now Ron.
They are both mentioned on the main website though - I can only add information if people provide it to me. I'd certainly like to hear more about any of the pubs in town - I still can't find a photo of the Lamb Inn as an example.
Do you have any tales to tell which you can add here?
Regards
Andy

Heslop

Post by Heslop »

Thanks Andy, Unfortunately I was officially under age when I left Dursley to join the army! My dad was the steward at the Lister's club so I didn't get to any of the pubs (once again officially). Called into most of them when on leave!

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Was there a coaching house/ale house in Chapel Street other than the Foresters

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

There was certainly another pub on Chapel Street, Patricia. It was the Lamb Inn and the building still survives.