Lister's Workman's Club

Memories of Lister's, Dursley's biggest engineering company.
Heslop

Lister's Workman's Club

Post by Heslop »

My dad was steward at the club from 1948. Learnt to play snooker and table tennis there! Dad left just before it was refurbished - I'd already left!!

Jeaw

Re: Lister's Workman's Club

Post by Jeaw »

Hi, we wondered what your father's name was and where did you guys live in Dursley? I lived in First Ave most of my young life, my husband lived at Cam Green but worked at Lister's from 1952-1967.

Heslop

Post by Heslop »

My dad was Roy Heslop (aka George). We lived on Highfields Approach before moving next to the Club at 32 Long Street!

Jeaw

Post by Jeaw »

From JEAW...Your last name is very familiar but we do not remember your father, I think I remember your mother...was she a small built lady? Also what age would you be now? we are in our mid 70's. My parents' home was next to Mawdsley's, my brother was Alan Whittard, he passed away 15 years ago.

Heslop

Post by Heslop »

Yes, my mam was very small - surprised you remember her and not my dad! Neither two were local; Dad was from Bishop Auckland in Co.Duham and mam was born in Cork, Ireland! I'm now 74, a grandfather with 7 grandchildren!!!

Jeaw

Post by Jeaw »

Well I am just a year older than you so I am sure our paths have crossed in our youth. My sister lived on Highfields App. close to 3rd ave. I also have had contact with the Richings family members who lived lower down towards Uley Rd. We have not visited Dursley for 13 years but have lots of friends we keep in contact with and yes there has been a lot of changes not all for the good. Hopefully they cannot take Cam Peak and Stinchcombe Hill away to build houses!!! Hope you enjoyed your visit there. We have lived in Ohio, U.S.A. for the past 43 years but Dursley is still "home" to us.
JEAW

Heslop

Post by Heslop »

We lived next door to the Richings at No.1 Highfields Approach until 1948, when moved to Long Street! I remember Wally Richings and his wife had 3 children, Molly, Barry and Pauline. I used to knock about with Barry, who I think was a year or two older than me. I think Pauline was about my age and I think she went to work at the "Odeon" (now long gone) in town! I don't know if any are still living there? I left Dursley when I was 16 and joined the army. Served in Germany, Malaya, Cyprus and most Garrison towns in England. Now settled in Manchester for 37 years!

Jeaw

Post by Jeaw »

Hi again, Wally worked at the Secondary Modern School as a Caretaker of the building at one time he had something to do with horses, Barry is the one I have been in touch with as he was writing an article on Cycle Speedway and he knew my husband was part of that group and requested information and photo's. I think it may have been something to do with the Heritage Centre. He was kind enough to send us a copy of the article. He and his wife still live in the area. Pauline lives at Ross-on-Wye where my sister lives and they "bump" into each other occasionally. I do not know what happened to Molly. Do you remember either of the Phillip's girls that lived in First Ave? I am in contact with one of them also Marion Wood who now lives in Australia. Lots of great memories from our childhood and teen years.....
JEAW

Heslop

Post by Heslop »

Thanks for the up-date on the Richings. Molly was at least 3 or 4 years older than the other two! Good to hear that Barry is still knocking about - don't think he will remember me! Pauline may well remember me from when she was at "The Odeon". I'm afraid I have no recollection of the Phillips sisters. Names that do come to mind would be Prudence & Valerie Green, Graham Smith & Alan Clutterbuck all living on Uley road. I used to go to school with Peter Harris who lived on 1st Avenue. I remember a Lindon Davies living further up the Highfields approach, opposite the old air raid shelter! I seem to remember him going into a barbers in town! So much water under the bridge !!!