What happened to Lister-Petter?

Memories of Lister's, Dursley's biggest engineering company.
Stephen Petter

What happened to Lister-Petter?

Post by Stephen Petter »

Point 1: I've just joined this Forum and I'm a bit surprised to see this section is called Lister not Lister-Petter!

Point 2. I'm looking for a copy of a book called "A Path to the Door, a complete history of Petters". I've written more details in the Genealogy section of this forum.

point 3. How is the firm doing? A year or two ago I thought it had gone bust.

Wishing you well,

Stephen Petter, Bristol.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: What happened to Lister-Petter?

Post by dursleyglos »

Stephen Petter wrote:Point 1: I've just joined this Forum and I'm a bit surprised to see this section is called Lister not Lister-Petter!
Good point. I guess it's because the section deals predominantly with the origins of the company in Dursley and its earlier history, i.e. when it was R.A. Lister. Lister-Petter does get a mention though if you follow the R.A. Lister history pages. There is always scope for change though, so if you have information about the Petter lineage, especially that after the companies merged then I'd love to hear more. Please contact me via the email page shown on my site.
Stephen Petter wrote:Point 2. I'm looking for a copy of a book called "A Path to the Door, a complete history of Petters". I've written more details in the Genealogy section of this forum.
I actually have a copy of this book already, see my fuller answer in the Genealogy section.
Stephen Petter wrote:Point 3. How is the firm doing? A year or two ago I thought it had gone bust.
It's surviving! I don't work there so I'm not close to it but it's had a hard time. I believe that in March 2004, it was sold off to two companies. One was IIH who purchased all assets apart from the new X-series engines. They also retained the Lister-Petter name and continue to trade in Dursley. Deutz AG bought the X-series which they will continue to develop in Dursley. They have also granted a licence to Lister-Petter Ltd to produce the X-Series for their traditional markets.

The big change over the next year or so will be when Lister-Petter move into new buildings on the opposite end of the site to where they are now as part of the regeneration scheme
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

Stephen Petter

Post by Stephen Petter »

Thanks for your reply. Replies!

Just a thought. If Lister Petter or whatever are moving to "the other end of the site" is it to the west? Because when Petters decided to go into aircraft production, they developed the west end of their site. Wondering what to call it, the owner's wife suggested "Westland". Hence the helicopter company.

SP

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

Stephen Petter wrote:If Lister Petter or whatever are moving to "the other end of the site" is it to the west?
Yes it is to the west, near to Church Lane in Cam. The whole site now being redeveloped has been given the name "Littlecombe", which is what the Cam end was once known as.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin