Lister in house magazines

Memories of Lister's, Dursley's biggest engineering company.
R Clark

Lister in house magazines

Post by R Clark »

Does anyone have any old Lister in house magazines such as "Listerlink" either that they don't want or possibly for sale. I have some but would like more. I'd be interested to know, thanks

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Lister magazines

Post by dursleyglos »

Hello

I did have many of the older ones (pre 1930s) but not any more unfortunately. I'll let you know if anything turns up. Any particular years or subjects?
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

R Clark

Listerlinks

Post by R Clark »

Andy

Any Listerlinks would do, but in particular 1960s/70s/80s/90s. Does anyone know the history of it, when if was first printed etc.

Cheers
Richard Clark

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Lister magazines

Post by dursleyglos »

Hi Richard

As far as I can make out the "Lister Standard" started around 1924 and was still known by that name in 1950. At some point before 1976 it changed to "Listerlink", probably in 1965 when the company became part of the Hawker Siddeley group. The winter of 1985 saw the last "Listerlink" published when Lister merged with Petter. I guess there was another magazine after that but I'm not sure what it was called.

P.G. Jack Echalier

ListerLink

Post by P.G. Jack Echalier »

Andy,
ListerLink started a rather later than that.
When HS Group bought RAL we were included in the Hawker Siddeley News - a glossy full colour tabloid.

ListerLink didn't come along until about 1973 or 74 - Caroline appeared as the editor - she was connected with Jimmy Lister - I worked in the Priory at the time and it must have been before Jimmy went over to HSPP at Thrupp.

I may have a copy or two of the ListerLink in my basement.
Used to have a couple of really old (long before my time) Lister "Standards" as well but don't know if I can still find them.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: ListerLink

Post by dursleyglos »

P.G. Jack Echalier wrote:ListerLink didn't come along until about 1973 or 74 - Caroline appeared as the editor - she was connected with Jimmy Lister - I worked in the Priory at the time and it must have been before Jimmy went over to HSPP at Thrupp.
Thanks for this Jack. I've seen a fair number from the late 1970s and 1980s but could never pinpoint when they started.
P.G. Jack Echalier wrote:I may have a copy or two of the ListerLink in my basement.
Used to have a couple of really old (long before my time) Lister "Standards" as well but don't know if I can still find them.
I'd be interested to hear whether you find them. I've seen some copies from the 1920s and 1930s which make interesting reading.
Last edited by dursleyglos on Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R Clark

Re: Lister magazines

Post by R Clark »

dursleyglos wrote:Hi Richard

As far as I can make out the "Lister Standard" started around 1924 and was still known by that name in 1950. At some point before 1976 it changed to "Listerlink", probably in 1965 when the company became part of the Hawker Siddeley group. The winter of 1985 saw the last "Listerlink" published when Lister merged with Petter. I guess there was another magazine after that but I'm not sure what it was called.
Andy, after Listerlink there was a house magazine called Link Up (I suppose a play on the fact that listers and petters had indeed linked up). I have a copy of the first issue, but it soon died out after a few years later.

Slasher51

Re: Lister in house magazines

Post by Slasher51 »

Have a copy of a 'Lister' glossy magazine from 1977 that you are welcome to add to your collection. I remember you from the 'Goods Inward Inspection', hope your time keeping has improved over the years, remember having to threaten to put you back on the clock.

ken

Post by ken »

I have a rather battered copy of GOSSIP No. 2, which appears to be a newsletter sent around during WWII. Also a copy of THE TEAM no 2, not dated, but issued when the the Hospital and Benefit Fun was being run down due to the introduction of the NHS. This is also the worse for wear but readable.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

'Gossip' was indeed a newsletter sent out during the war years, aimed at keeping employees in touch with those who had gone to serve in the forces. I have several copies of this.