Travelling on the branch

Anything to do with the railway from Coaley Junction to Dursley.
dursleyglos
Site Admin

Travelling on the branch

Post by dursleyglos »

Did you travel on the Dursley branch line to or from Coaley Junction? If so what can you remember of the stations, the line or the journey?
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

davegoldsmith

Re: Travelling on the branch

Post by davegoldsmith »

Andy, I do remember on quite a few occasions my mother taking me down to the station at Lister's and getting our tickets to go to Gloucester. It seemed to take forever but great fun. I guess Ernie was the driver then. Dave

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

Thanks for that Dave. Ernie was probably one of the drivers but there were other names as well, John Humphries for one. What do you remember of Dursley station itself?

kriskros

Post by kriskros »

I remember going on what was called the Dursley Donkey to Gloucester, carriages with no corridors, I can almost smell it now thinking about it.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

When a child I lived at Teetotallers Cottages, Noggins Hole, Hopton Road, Upper Cam and my best friend lived at Everlands so regularly crossed the Gallows Bridge to meet up after school.

I remember a serious accident where a young child fell through the wooden Gallows Bridge onto the railway lines and died as a result of the accident. The bridge was closed for a while for repairs. Does anyone know who the child was.

Teetotallers Cottages were named because the man who lived there gave up drink and saved enough money to build the cottages.

ken

Post by ken »

The accident on the gallows bridge was about 1950ish, the boy's family name was Isles, but I can't remember his first name.
I think that the family lived in St George's Road.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

I believe that after the accident the old wooden bridge was replaced by the steel one which survives to this day.