Pitchers of Hodgcombe Farm

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
Anne Morley

Pitchers of Hodgcombe Farm

Post by Anne Morley »

Further to my earlier search for George Richmond is it possible to find out more about what was happening in Dursley and Cam in the 1840s?
George born 1826, son of Hannah (1796) laundress, married to ? Richmond, grandmother Hester French (1771), journeyman tailor to Master Tailor Daniel Mitchell in Long Street, had 2 brothers, Thomas (1821) and William (1832) They all went to live in Birmingham at some point.

George married Mary Pitcher of Hodgecombe Farm, Cam/Coaley (born 1821) Is the farm still there?
Are there any records of school attendance from this time? Could they have attended Joseph Twemlow's school? Are there any marriage records? Could they have been dissenters?
What would a tailor be making at that time? What crops/animals would have been farmed then?

I would be most grateful for any information.
Anne Morley

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: Pitchers of Hodgcombe Farm

Post by dursleyglos »

Hello Anne
Yes, Hodegcombe Farm is still here, see the map at:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=37 ... hp=ids.srf
Just zoom out to see the name. It's close to Cam Long Down.

Dursley in the 1840s was a very poor place following the very big decline of the wool industry. Many people were in poverty and consequently left the area to find employment elsewhere, possibly why they went to live in Birmingham. A master tailor would likely have been making the full range of gentlemen's garments - coats, jackets, waistcoats, trousers, breeches, shirts, etc. but this business would doubtless have also seen a downturn.

In the early 19th century cereal crops were becoming more widespread, wheat, barley, oats, turnips and clover as part of a crop rotation scheme which was becoming more widespread. Other things like peas and beans were also planted. As for animals, there would have been sheep, cattle, pigs, goats, much as there are now, although breeds were different.

Do you suspect they attended Joseph Twemlow's school? There were many private schools from that time, many fee paying of course. There are some records of the Church School but that didn't start until later.
I hope that helps.
Andy
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

Anne Morley

Post by Anne Morley »

Thank you Andy.
That is very helpful.
Sorry for the late reply, gremlins in the computer.
Regards,
Anne.

Anne Morley

Post by Anne Morley »

Hello again Andy

The reason I thought of Joseph Twemlow's school was because later George and Mary Richmond's son, George William (1850) married Alice Lee whose grandfather was John Beesley (1785) and may have been related to Thomas Beesley who married Susan Clark whose brother Francis married Rowland Hill's sister Caroline. They all lived in the Edgbaston area of Birmingham.

I know this sounds convoluted but I was looking to verify the family myth that we were connected to Rowland Hill. The Hill family were dissenters and I wondered if that could be the link.

If you can throw some light on this I would be very grateful.

Regards,
Anne.