Webb/Elliott/Gibbon and Frape Families

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
JackC

Webb/Elliott/Gibbon and Frape Families

Post by JackC »

Hi, my name is Jack Cotter and I live in South Wales, I have been doing my family tree for about 7 years, my Grandmother, Millicent May Webb, was born in Dursley in 1893. All her ancestors were born and raised in Dursley throughout the 1800s. The family names are Webb, Elliott, Gibbon and Frape, and they lived in various houses in Snooks Hill, Slade Lane and Union St throughout this time. I would like to come to Dursley to see the area my ancestors lived, and also to do some more research. Can anyone help me by telling me how/where I could find the Parish, Burial, and BMD records for Dursley, also can I just turn up on the day, or do I have to make prior appointments.
Looking forward to your replies,
Jack Cotter

Mercury

Re: Webb/Elliott/Gibbon and Frape Families

Post by Mercury »

Hi Jack

You could go here.. http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives/map
or have a look through here .... http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

I hope this helps :)

DNnorthcott

Post by DNnorthcott »

Hi Jack. A good place to research your family history, is to visit both the Gloucester Family History Society and Gloucestershire Archives.
They are both situated in Clarence Row, Alvin Street, Gloucester. I have visited both, and have found them to be very helpful.
If you visit the Gloucestershire Archives for the first time, you will have to take some form of identification to provide details of current address and signature, they will then issue you with a customer card.
I do not know if you have used microfiches before, but again, they are very useful for finding birth, marriages and deaths, and there is plenty of room to do your research. I might add, there is a small coffee lounge (with a hot drinks machine) where you can consume any food you may bring with you.
All in all, I found it a very pleasant two days I spent there, and am hoping to return next year.
Best wishes
Diane

JackC

Post by JackC »

Diane, thank you for your reply, I will certainly follow up on your advice, I was hoping that I may actually find some information in Dursley itself, maybe in the churches or through the council offices etc.
Once again thank you for taking the time to reply.
Jack

DNnorthcott

Post by DNnorthcott »

Hi Jack, I'm glad you found the information useful.
When I visited Dursley for the first time last year, I enquired at St. James Church regarding BMD records, and they said the best place to go is both the Gloucester Archives and Family History Centre. As far as I was aware, they didn't have much in the way of records (which I found hard to believe)...
There is a library situated in Dursley, which I have also visited, although I didn't enquire about parish records, as I already had the information I needed.
There are a number of books there regarding family history information for Dursley, which I found quite interesting (old pictures etc.).
The council may have information, but again I didn't need to contact them.
I found Dursley a lovely place to visit, as both my Gt.Gt grandparents were born there, and I was touched to actually visit the area where they were born and married.
Best wishes
Diane

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

Hello Jack

I can confirm that St. James Church does not now hold much in the way of historical BMD records. As with many churches throughout the country these have been moved to record offices and archives for safekeeping. You could try Dursley Town Council who have records of the various plots for the burial grounds they are responsible for (St. Marks' and the town cemetery). I also have some of that information.

Try popping into the Heritage Centre in Dursley if you visit as many of the burial records are there too along with some from the non-conformist churches in town. There are plenty of books to browse through there too.

Gloucestershire Family History Society also publishes a CD containing all Dursley and Cam BMD records for the 18th Century which you can buy but that may be too early for your research.

I hope that helps

Andy
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

JackC

Post by JackC »

Hi Andy,
Am I right in saying that the Heritage centre is only open for 2 hours, 3 days a week.? The CD you mentioned, how much does it cost?
Jack

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

Hello Jack

The Heritage Centre is open Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays between 10.30am and 12.30pm.

As for the CD you would need to contact the Gloucestershire Family History Society directly. It's not sold at the Heritage Centre. It seems to cost £10 currently, see:
http://gfhs.org.uk/products-page/cddvd/ ... gisters-2/

Best Wishes

Andy
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin