Joseph Mitchell

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
Mitchell Family

Joseph Mitchell

Post by Mitchell Family »

I am looking for any information on my great-great-great grandparents Joseph and Mary Mitchell. Census returns suggest that Joseph was born about 1812. In 1851 the family was living in Melksham. In 1871/81/91 the census shows them as living in Cam street, Chapel street, and at the Coffee Tavern. I was wondering if anybody knows exactly what this was? Records also show that they also had their niece Bertha Derrett living with them. I believe she later married an Arthur Phillimore. Joseph died about 1891. I would be most grateful for any help.
Last edited by Mitchell Family on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: Joseph Mitchell

Post by dursleyglos »

Hello there
The coffee tavern was opened on 1st December 1883 in Chapel Street, Cam due to the influence of the Temperance Movement which was set up to keep people away from the "evils of drink" and out of the pubs, of which there were many. Miss E.P. Winterbotham of Norman Hill was a leader in the Temperance Movement in Cam and it was largely due to her enthusiasm that Cam Institute in Station Road and the Welcome Coffee Tavern in Chapel Street were built.

Here's a picture of the Welcome Tavern so you can see what it was like.

I hope that helps

Andy
Attachments
Welcome Coffee Tavern, Chapel Street, Cam
Welcome Coffee Tavern, Chapel Street, Cam
cam_welcome_tavern_chapel_street.jpg (35.83 KiB) Viewed 5164 times
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

Mitchell Family

Post by Mitchell Family »

Hello Andy.
Thank you very much for your help. I know that Joseph Mitchell died in 1891. Do you think it possible that he could be buried in Dursley?

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

The death of Joseph Walters Mitchell is certainly recorded in 1891 in the Dursley district but he's not recorded as being buried at St. Marks' in Dursley. It wouldn't have been at St. James' as burials had stopped there by then and the town cemetery wasn't opened until 1934. There is a possibility of the Tabernacle in Dursley but it's probably more likely that he's buried in one of the Cam churches as that was where he lived. There are several to choose from - St. Bartholomew in Lower Cam (Nearest C of E Church to Chapel Street), St. George in Upper Cam, Cam Congregational Church (Cam Meeting) or even the Wesleyan Church on Chapel Street itself. There is also the small Quarry Chapel as a remote possibility.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

[phveens]

Post by [phveens] »

Greetings

I was interested to read your message and would like to make contact. I have done extensive research on the Derrett family of which I believe Mary, Joseph's wife, belongs.
Awaiting your reply.
Many thanks
Pam Veenstra
Australia