The Infirmary Littleworth

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
KentGirl

The Infirmary Littleworth

Post by KentGirl »

Hello

One of my ancestors - Ezra Thurston died aged 21 in the Infirmary Littleworth. Does anyone know of this place or where I can find any information.

Thanks

Sarah

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: The Infirmary Littleworth

Post by dursleyglos »

Hi Sarah

There are actually at least three Littleworths in Gloucestershire, one in Chipping Camden, one in Amberley and the one I think you are referring to which was once a small area within Gloucester City Centre. It's out of the Dursley area but according to the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72, John Marius Wilson) Littleworth was "...an extra-parochial tract in the district and county of Gloucester; adjacent to Gloucester city, and within Gloucester borough. Real property, 2,098. Pop., 501. Houses, 78". It goes on to say "The county infirmary, in Littleworth, was built, in 1755, by voluntary donation; is a plain but commodious and well-arranged edifice; has an income, from subscriptions, and the interest of funded property, of nearly £3,000; and extends its benefits to a vast number of patients."

In modern Gloucester, Littleworth comes within the Southgate Street conservation area and according to the Gloucester City Council appraisal of the area carried out around 2007, Littleworth was "...the section of today’s Southgate Street between Albion Street and Spa Road". The study also says "... The old Littleworth suburb, north of Spa Road remained an area of poorer housing and premises for trade. Indeed, Littleworth was so named because it was the poorest region of the city." It also mentions the Gloucester Infirmary in that area (presumably the Littleworth one) being demolished in 1984.

You may find more information in Gloucestershire Archives.

I hope that helps.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

KentGirl

Post by KentGirl »

Ok - thanks very much.

caroline2

Post by caroline2 »

Hi, I am a descendant of the Thurston family, am only just getting to grips with the family line, came across Ezra Thurston on the 1851 census aged 12, is this the same one that you refer to?

KentGirl

Post by KentGirl »

Hi

Yes I think it is the same one. He is a tricky one - he died in the Infirmary aged 21. The Nathaniel Thurston mentioned on the 1851 census is my Great Grandfather (x4).

My Nan was a Thurston - before she married my grandad. It's her father's father (Edwin Thurston) who started to make his way over to Maidstone via Windsor (which is where my great grandad was born)

Ezra is buried in the graveyard in Dursley in plot 29.

Nathaniel Thurston and 2 others are buried in the same plot in the same church yard. Have a look at my other post - Andy has been very helpful.

Maybe we could help each other out with research as I live in Kent - which is a bit of a way from Dursley!

Let me know if you want anymore info.... which line of Thurstons you from?

Sarah :)