Hancock Family

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
JanetWiltsBA12

Hancock Family

Post by JanetWiltsBA12 »

Can anyone remember the Hancock Family?
Frank Hancock worked at Lister's for many years. He was married to Marjorie and they had a lot to do with Lister's Skittles and they won many trophies. They lived in Summerhayes when they died but were in Raglan House when I first knew them. Their son Roy was in the Glorious Glosters Regiment and latterly in The Military Police when he died at the age of 37 in 1971 while trying to rescue people from the sea In South Shields. I was his wife and am trying to do his Family Tree and a relative who still lives in Dursley told me someone had been doing it too and need some assistance.
Would be pleased to hear from anyone who knew them. Janet

Jeaw

Re: Hancock Family

Post by Jeaw »

Hi Janet
Just wanted you to know I am related to the Hancock family. My mother and Roy's grandmother (my auntie Lucy) were sisters making Roy's birth mother my cousin. I can remember when his mother passed away and the children were adopted by the family members you mentioned. Frank and Margie have both passed away, Margie not too many years ago, she was in her 90's. Olive who adopted Gordon also has passed away. I am still in touch with Grace via E-Mail, she is married to a really nice fellow Tony and they have children living in Australia and New Zealand and travel there often to visit. Not really sure if it is children from previous marriages of both. Roy lived across the street from my husband and I at Summerhayes, not sure where he moved to or why, the next thing I heard he had passed away by drowning. We left England in 1967 and do not know the timeline, whether that happed before or after we left. My mother and auntie Lucy had a brother named Harry who lived in Nibley and they had one daughter who I am in contact with at Christmas time named Joan Davis who lives in Devon. Joyce still lives in Surrey and Peggy lives in Dursley. If there is anything I can help you with just let me know and I would be glad to so.
Take care
Julie

irenesmith

Post by irenesmith »

Hello Janet,

I knew the Hancock family very well during the war years and after. My Dad was billeted at Raglan House, we lived up North at Whiston, Lancs. We made many visits to Dursley and after the war the friendship continued.

I have many photographs of Roy and me with our buckets and spades at Southport and of Marjorie and Frank.

I still have books inscribed with birthday and Christmas greetings in Marjorie's beautiful handwriting.

The reason I searched the website for Roy with whom I played as another only child, was because we were talking at dinner about Cloves, my favourite spice and I mentioned Auntie Doll's apple pies which always had cloves in. My husband said, why don't you look up Roy Hancock and it was such a shock to read your entry.

My memories of Raglan House and that beautiful garden with the stream at the bottom, the board games we played before Marjorie made our cocoa are so vivid and such happy memories.
If you wish to get in touch, I will gladly send you copies of the photos I have of times gone by.

Best wishes
Irene Smith (nee Maddison)

JanetWiltsBA12

Post by JanetWiltsBA12 »

It was SO good to hear from you. Roy was divorced when I met him and had a son Gary. He married Maureen Phillips and she lived on the outskirts of Dursley. Gary has 3 girls and lives in Ifield. I met Roy when he was stationed in Warminster and we married in 1964 and he died in 1971. We have a son Peter. He has 3 boys. I remarried in 1975 after returning to Warminster after Roy's accident. He was trying to help others in difficulty in the sea at Newcastle on Tyne as we were based in Barnard Castle at the time. He received a Carnegie Hero Fund Trust Certificate and A Royal Humane Society Cetificate which was presented to me at the Magistrates Court, then in Warminster.

Roy was fostered by a Mr & Mrs Roberts in Radstock for a while as we went and visited them once. Yes I would love to have some copies of the photos. I would appreciate that very much. I have never actually been in Raglan House but have seen it from the outside. Yes Marjorie did have beautiful writing. She died in a Nursing Home on the outskirts of Dursley. We used to visit her quite often. I will send a photo of her on her 70th with some of my grandchildren. I have 3 boys from my son's side and a boy & girl on my husband George's side.

JanetWiltsBA12

Post by JanetWiltsBA12 »

To Jeaw
Sorry I have taken so long to answer you but have not been on the Dursley site for some time! I had rather given up looking, so I was so surprised to see 2 replies recently. Yes, I too am in touch with Grace and Tony and Gordon but only at Christmas and the like. Also Peggy and Joyce in Croydon. I never really knew why they were all adopted as no one has said but I assumed their real mother died and the Dad probably could not look after them himself. What was the cause of her death and how old was she? Did they live in Dursley at the time?

Gordon has married twice and now lives in Anglesey. Gordon came to see me when Roy died. I met Grace when she came down to our wedding. (Roy was divorced when I met him and had a son Gary. He now has 3 girls but we don't keep in touch). I have a son Peter and 2 stepchildren, all boys. Yes mum Hancock passed away at 96 as did an Aunt of mine. They were really strong people and we admired them a lot. Mum used to come and stay here sometimes after she lost Frank. She lived at 6 Elm Grove, Summerhayes till well into her 90's and then went into a home on the outskirts of Dursley. We visited as often as we could but she was quite happy there.

I still keep in touch with Martin Workman who looked after Mum till she died. He was her sister's son and still lives in Dursley. He and his wife split up but are still in touch as she lives near. He has quite a large family around him. He has a sister too, Doris I think, who lives in Dursley too. I hope you pick this up after all this time! Look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes Janet

irenesmith

Post by irenesmith »

We've put some photos on the website that date back to the 40s and 50s. As you can see I was about 6 or 7 when they were taken. (A long time ago)!

At the rear of the main house was a double story extension, now rebuilt. Upstairs was a flat , the home of Auntie Doll. Can anyone tell me if she was a relation to Marjorie? She had her own separate staircase and made the most wonderful apple pies, from the Bramley tree outside the kitchen window.

She always remembered me at Christmas and birthdays but I think she lived alone. I remember the last time I left Raglan House, standing on the front step waiting for my dad to take us home.

I had some new knitting needles and wool, a present from lovely Auntie Doll.

Jeaw

Post by Jeaw »

Hi Janet
Yes I had given up on a reply but my husband was checking out the web site and told me of your reply so here I am once again!!!! I was very young when Roy and his siblings lost their mother but I believe she did die of cancer, I will ask my sister when I talk to her why the father did not take care of the children. I do not remember what his name was but my sister may remember as she is seven years older than me. The children were very fortunate to go to loving homes and although they were separated they were in close contact with each other. Because I have lived in the U.S.A. for over 4o years the only one I have kept in contact with is Peggy who lost her only son to cancer just over a year ago. Also Joyce lost her husband last year and Olive has been gone for several years. Auntie Lucy and my mother were so much alike they could have been twins. I remember going to her Auntie Lucy's house in Roseberry Road and playing with Grace as a young child, they had this really great attic with a wooden floor and a narrow winding stairway that led to it. They were a happy and close family and I loved going there.
Anything else I can help you with would be pleased to do so.
Keep in touch
Julie

irenesmith

Post by irenesmith »

On a previous post I said that we had put photos on the website. We were unable to do this and Andy, with great patience advised us to send them by email to family members who wanted them. My husband tried to do this, but was also unsuccessful, therefore I am giving my email address and if the people who posted will send us an email we will gladly forward them directly to you.

From
richard.smith58@blueyonder.co.uk

Regards,
Irene Smith

JanetWiltsBA12

Post by JanetWiltsBA12 »

Info I have so far:

Lucy Annie Hancock (nee Chappell) married Aurther Orlando Hancock

Grace Elizabeh May Hancock married Rowland Abraham Dauncy Williams
who had Grace, Roy and Gordon.

Does this sound right to you? Or am I going down the wrong road. Roy was a Williams before changing it to Hancock.

Jeaw

Post by Jeaw »

Hi Janet
That does sound right, I learned something as I did not know my Auntie Lucy's second name was Annie which explains why I have Ann as one my names. My other middle name is Elizabeth which was one of Roy's mother's names. My sister thought Roy's mother's name was Grace but I thought it was May so perhaps she went by that name. Auntie Lucy's husband was known to me as Uncle Art, he died perhaps in his 60's or (earlier), I believe he had a heart attack. My mother's maiden name was Chappell so that is correct. Now you mentioned the father's name of Grace, Roy and Gordon that seems that is correct also. I must admit I could not remember it but when I saw it in writing it rang a bell!!!!! I do remember when their mother passed away but I was very young so it is just a very faint memory. I do know they lived across the street to Auntie Lucy at that time.
Nice to find out a little of my family history so thanks for that.
Julie Smith

glamlad

Post by glamlad »

Just thought I would add that it was in 1907 that Arthur married Lucy. These Hancocks are also my tree.

Regards

JanetWiltsBA12

Post by JanetWiltsBA12 »

glamlad wrote:
> Just thought I would add that it was in 1907 that Arthur married Lucy.
> These Hancocks are also my tree.
>
> Regards

Thanks for that, at least I know I have got that right.
How far have you got with your tree? Perhaps we could help one another out?
Janet

JanetWiltsBA12

Post by JanetWiltsBA12 »

Jeaw wrote:
> Hi Janet
> That does sound right, I learned something as I did not know my Auntie
> Lucy's second name was Annie which explains why I have Ann as one my names.
> My other middle name is Elizabeth which was one of Roy's mother's names. My
> sister thought Roy's mother's name was Grace but I thought it was May so
> perhaps she went by that name. Auntie Lucy's husband was known to me as
> Uncle Art, he died perhaps in his 60's or (earlier), I believe he had a
> heart attack. My mother's maiden name was Chappell so that is correct. Now
> you mentioned the father's name of Grace, Roy and Gordon that seems that is
> correct also. I must admit I could not remember it but when I saw it in
> writing it rang a bell!!!!! I do remember when their mother passed away but
> I was very young so it is just a very faint memory. I do know they lived
> across the street to Auntie Lucy at that time.
> Nice to find out a little of my family history so thanks for that.
> Julie Smith

Just to say that the "Orlando" name carries on as My Son Peter is Ian "Orlando" and his 3 boys are Larence "Orlando" Milo "Orlando and Oliver "Orlando" Laurence is 18 neaxt weekend. Cn't believe it! time goes so fast.! Janet

glamlad

Post by glamlad »

Hello Janet. Tree has gone well on the Welsh side. If you wish to see it its on genes and ancestry. I have taken Orlando's side down as far as Arthur and Lucy marrying in 1907 and then having the following children. Research might be wrong here but I think there was a Francis, May, Fred, Raymond, Reg, Olive, Florence, Joyce and Peggy.

Regards.

JanetWiltsBA12

Post by JanetWiltsBA12 »

Yes her name was Grace Elizabeth May as I have a copy of Roy's the Baptism Certificate. When Roy and I married we spent our Honeymoon with A Joyce and Uncle Pat in Croyden. Joyce was Roy's Favourite Auntie. I also met A Olive & U Ray (Cheverton) when they lived in Stroud. They adopted Gorden. Also A Ruby & U Ray who lived in Gloucester. Then there was Kay & Reg who at some stage lived in Bournemouth and then Millom in Cumberland. There was Gran Hancock who lived with Peggy until she died but can't remember her Christian name. When I have sorted out my Family Tree I could send a copy to you if you let me have your E mail address. mine + jg.curtis@tiscali.co.uk All the Best Janet