Information - Heslop

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
Heslop

Information - Heslop

Post by Heslop »

My parents, Roland & Christina Heslop, married at Stroud Registrar Office in May 1937! On their marriage Certificate it shows their address as 141 Highfields and witnesses as J.E. Workman and C.S.D. Workman. Does anyone have any information of this Address as I always thought we lived at 1 Highfields Approach. I would also like to hear more on the Workmans - I believe one of them was the Host of the public house in Cambridge??

Jeaw

Re: Information - Heslop

Post by Jeaw »

From JEAW. Hi again Mr. Heslop (cannot remember your first name). I do remember Workman's who lived in First Ave. I would guess the house number for them was 34. They had one daughter called "Joy" who was a year or so older than me but we hung around together for years. Her dad worked at Mawdsley's for years not sure where her Mother worked. They did take over "The George" at Cambridge on the A38. I went there often to hang out with Joy as a young teenager. I do not know what happened to Joy and have often wondered if she is still around. As regard to the house numbers at one time the house that we lived in which was 26 First Ave at one time was one hundred and something so I'm thinking that at sometime the homes were renumbered. I could probably find out more from my sister who is 7 years older than I and perhaps would have more knowledge about it than I do. By the way I do remember Alan Clutterbuck and Pete Harris, I think my brother Alan used to hang out with Alan C. and Pete used to be part of our playing buddies growing up, the last I heard which is 13 years ago!!!! Pete still lived in the same house in First Ave. Let me know if I can help any further.
Julie

Heslop

Post by Heslop »

:) Hello Julie, Thanks for the up-date! My puzzle is my dad left the army to come to Dursley from, as far as I know, Aldershot Garrison. My mother used to work there as a NAAFI girl! My parents as I say married in Stroud and I was born the following year in 1938! I've always understood our first address was 3 Hollywell cottages on Woodmancote opposite the "New Inn". It's a puzzle why my parents were at 141 Highfields and then Hollywell Cottage before moving into 1 Highfields Approach?
I used to go to the Council School with Peter Harris and I believe he lived with an Aunt on 1st Avenue. I'm surprised he was still living there 13 years ago - he must have been in his sixties by then. I've been doing Family History for about 12 years and my earliest ancestor was a lead miner in the Swaledale area of North Yorkshire. I'm for ever going back on different queries into the family!! Quite an obssession!! Have links with America, Australia and France!!
Best Wishes Ron.

Jeaw

Post by Jeaw »

Hi Ron, you are correct about Pete Harris he did live with his aunt (Sissy I believe) I can remember his grandmother also was part of the household. Pete has worked all his life with the city council and although at the start it was not considered the best of jobs over the years wages and benefits were pretty good, so Pete did okay and if he is still alive like us is probably retired. Did you know Tony Pratt who lived next door to Peter? also Donald Wilson and Carson Chown? also lived close by. Sadly all deceased now, I'm beginning to think we are on borrowed time!!!!! you also mentioned Lyn Davies or Davis, when I worked in Dursley he did work at a barber's in Long street and as far as I know spent most of his working days there...no updates on him.
Julie

Heslop

Post by Heslop »

Hello again, You've certainly roused some memories! Tony Pratt was a prefect at the Grammar school and also in 3rd Dursley Scouts at the same time as myself albeit the older vessel! I also was at the same school as Carson Chown and, indeed, Tony broke up a fight between myself and Carson!! Happy days!! I beleve Tony married Sally Hunking who was also at the Grammar School! Incidentally the Grammar school is now called Rednock school and has virtually been re-built. My sister, Pat, who still lives in Dursley had both her daughters go there!! Last time I saw Peter was many years ago in the "Cross Keys" (now converted back to a normal house) at the top of Boulton Lane. Hope you are keeping well -as you say we appear to be remembering most of our deceased friends!!
Best wishes Ron H.