Harris family Dursley

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
myfamilytree

Harris family Dursley

Post by myfamilytree »

I am researching the Harris family of Cam and Dursley. I did notice that there was a comment left from a Ken Welsh who has Harris connections and would like to hear from you if poss. Anbody who has any info on the Harris family i would love to hear from. My g g gramp was a police sergeant in Dursley (James Harris). Look forward to hearing from anyone who has connections.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: Harris family Dursley

Post by dursleyglos »

The Harris family were big landowners in the area in the 18th and 19th century. George Harris had a mill and also owned Rednock House and much land between there and the town centre and also in the valley in which the Lister factory was extended. Harris family land was sold off to both Lister's and the Tabernacle Church at various times. I'm not sure if these Harrises are related to yours though.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

NEDCAM

Post by NEDCAM »

Re:- "My g g gramp was a police sergeant in Dursley (James Harris)".

I have a James HARRIS born about 1849 and christened at Tetbury.

Can you please confirm or dismiss any connection with this James Harris ?

Also if you can please kindly give me one of your CAM Harris people I certainly may be able to help & make a connection to mine?

Regards

NedCam

doug harris

Post by doug harris »

My g grandfather was James Harris, a police sergeant in Dursley.
He was born in Ruardean in 1834 and was married to Fanny Walker, born 1833 in Tetbury.

David M Wade

Post by David M Wade »

My Grandmother was Elizabeth Rivers Nee Harris who had Relatives in Dursley.
and I believe was a descendant of the James Harris, Sergeant of Police at Ruardean.
She was married to Wallace Rivers and lived at Hazel Hill nr Plump Hill in the Forest.
They were married in Chesterfield,Notts, near to one of her/his Sisters also Harris? ,in approx 1909.

As a young boy I went to Dursley /Cam, 1950? to visit her Uncle and Aunt who was then in their Nineties

There was a cousin or nephew Ron ? who lost his lower arms? in the war, Royal Navy, living in Cam ?
we also visited.

David M Wade