The Cretchley Family

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
Bob Cretchley

The Cretchley Family

Post by Bob Cretchley »

My late father and I have conducted extensive research at the Gloucestershire Records Office into our family which lived in Dursley from 1739 until the late nineteenth century. Our surname "Cretchley" was also recorded as "Cratchley", "Scratchley" and "Critchley". The generations based in Dursley were as follows.

James Cratchley - Bpt 15/4/1713, Kingstanley, married Elizabeth Wiley, 6/5/1739, Dursley; eight children, five surviving to adulthood.

Philip Cratchley - Bpt 30/6/1747, Dursley, married Mary Richards, 16/5/1769, Dursley; five children, two surviving to adulthood.

John Critchley - Bpt 22/12/1776, Dursley, an agricultural worker, married Maria Rickards 24/10/1796, Dursley; five children, four surviving to adulthood.

Philip Cretchley - Bpt 16/12/1802, Dursley, a cordwainer, married Elizabeth Neale; nine children, eight surviving to adulthood.

William Neale Cretchley - Bpt 20/2/1832, Dursley, a schoolmaster, married Elizabeth Newth 27/6/1861, Dursley; one child. William Neale moved to Kingswood, Surrey. He married again after the death of Elizabeth in 1862.

William Robert Cretchley - Born 24/6/1862, Kingswood, a clerk. He was brought up as a child in Dursley by his maternal grandparents after the death of his mother.

William Robert was my great grandfather. My grandfather, also William Robert, and my father, Robert William Frederick, were born in London (Plumstead). The family moved to the Swindon area after the second world war. I was born in Swindon.

Another branch of the "Cretchleys", descended from William Neale's brother Charles, is now living in New Zealand, and I am in contact with them.

If anyone who is researching their family history in Dursley has come across any links with the "Cretchleys", I would be interested to know.

Jane

Re: The Cretchley Family

Post by Jane »

Hi Bob

I hope you still visit this forum as it has been a couple of years since your post.

My 3 x great grandmother was Elizabeth Cretchley [c 1808] who I believe was one of the daughters of the John Critchley and Maria Rickards in your post. I have Elizabeth's marriage cert [ 25 Nov 1845 to William Mills] which describes her as the widow Elizabeth Rickitts, father, John Cretchley, gardener. The 1841 gives John Cretchely, a gardener living with Eliabeth Rickitts, 30, and William Rickitts aged 7, presumably her son.

I haven't yet been able to visit Gloucester RO so haven't confirmed further back than Elizabeth's marriage cert so if you are able to confirm her as one of John's children, that would be great.

All the best
Jane

Bob Cretchley

Post by Bob Cretchley »

Dear Jane,

You are correct, Elizabeth Cretchley was the daughter of John and Maria. She was baptised on 11th September 1808 in Dursley, and married William Ricketts (Rickitts) on 8th November 1829 in Dursley. I have no further details on her, and would be interested in seeing your family tree going back to her if you have the details. It would probably be easier to post this to me (4 Parham Walk, Swindon SN5 6EQ). I have full details of the Cretchleys going back from John and Maria to James and Elizabeth, who married and settled in Dursley in 1739, which I would be happy to share with you. It would be easier for me to post this to you. Some initial information I can give you here is of Elizabeth's brother and sisters, who were: Charlotte (bpt 5th Dec 1796, married William Newth, 14th April 1818); Ann (bpt 14th April 1799, married Luke Parslow, 9th August 1819); Philip (my direct ancester) (bpt 16th Dec 1802, married Elizabeth Neale); Sarah (bpt 12th Oct 1806, buried 3rd Dec 1820). I hope this is of interest to you. Thanks very much for your response to my post on this site.

Yours sincerely, Bob Cretchley

Jane

Post by Jane »

Hi Bob

That's brilliant, thank you very much. I will get stuff in the post to you in the next day or two.

All the best
Jane

Jane

Post by Jane »

Hi Bob

Put an envelope in the post for you this morning.

All the best
Jane

Bob Cretchley

Post by Bob Cretchley »

Dear Jane,

Information received and read with great interest, thanks very much. I shall send you a pack of information on the Cretchley family, including copies of entries in parish records etc, in due course.

Best wishes, Bob Cretchley

Keith Cretch

Post by Keith Cretch »

Hello Bob
We have happened upon your website while looking up our family name on the internet. We are the Cretchley family living in South Africa and descended from Samuel and Ida May Cretchley who would have moved to SA in the early 1900's. We would love to become involved in pursuing our family tree. Some of our family have now emigrated to Australia.
It would be good to hear from you and possibly find out some info on Samuel Edward Cretchley.
Best regards
Keith

Bob Cretchley

Post by Bob Cretchley »

Dear Keith,
Ten years ago I was in correspondence with your brother Brian regarding your family history, and as to whether there was a link with my family. (He may still have my letters.) I did some research for him on your family in the Gloucestershire Records Office, as Samuel Cretchley was born in Cheltenham. I managed to trace three generations back from him to another Samuel (surname Cratchley), from Stroud. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any more information going back further on your family. What is clear, from research into my family tree, is that for the last 200 years at least, there is no direct link between your family and mine, despite both being based in Gloucestershire in the nineteenth century. Further back there may be a link, but I have not found one yet.
Best wishes
Bob Cretchley

mcguirfl

Post by mcguirfl »

I have an ancestor Luke Parslow who married Ann Cretchley at Dursley on 9th August 1819 She was born in about 1799 and died at Kingstanley in Oct 1838. I have all their family details if you are interested.
Regards
Frank

Bob Cretchley

Post by Bob Cretchley »

Dear Frank,

Thanks for your response. You can see from my post to Jane on 9th Feb. 2009, details of Ann Cretchley's brother and sisters. I would be very interested in seeing details of your family tree going back to Ann and Luke Parslow if you could send them to me, (address in above post). If you would like details of the Cretchley family going back from Ann, I would be happy to send these to you.

Smithsquared

Post by Smithsquared »

Hello Bob

I have just stumbled across your post whilst looking up the Cretchley Ancestors, hopefully you will pick this up since it looks like a year since the last post, whatever, here goes!

My maternal great grandmother (Elizabeth Amy Julia Summers) was the daughter of Maria Cretchley who married Brougham William Summers in 4Q 1862 in Dursley. Maria was the 5th child of William and Elizabeth. I am still filling in details but it would be good to compare notes.

Do hope you are still monitoring this,

Best regards

Bob Smith

Bob Cretchley

Post by Bob Cretchley »

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your post. Maria was actually the daughter of Philip and Elizabeth Cretchley. She was baptised on 29/1/1837 in Dursley and had eight brothers and sisters. These were Anne (bpt 14/3/1828), Mary (bpt 6/12/1829), William Neale (born 10/2/1832 - my direct ancestor)), Sarah (bpt 3/8/1834), John (bpt 20/10/1839 - died aged 5), Robert (bpt 12/6/1842), Elizabeth (bpt 29/5/1845), Charles (born 29/5/1847). I have the details of the descendants of William Neale and Charles, but so far not of Robert. I also have the details of the Cretchley family going back four generations from Philip. I would be happy to share any of these details with you. Let me know what you would like and where to send them. I would certainly be interested in seeing your family tree going back to Maria and Brougham Summers if you would care to send the details to me at 4 Parham Walk, Swindon SN5 6EQ.

Smithsquared

Post by Smithsquared »

Bob,
I will drop you some info in the post regarding my family tree back to Maria Cretchley, it is (as with everyone else) a 'Work in Progress' which will probably never get to a conclusion but it keeps me busy.
Regards
Bob Smith

traceydw

Post by traceydw »

Thank you very much for posting the very useful information here.

James and Elizabeth Cratchley (nee Wiley) were my 6x great-grandparents. I'm descended from their daughter Sarah Cratchley (baptised 30 July 1756 at Dursley), who married Stephen Summerhill (from Frampton-on-Severn) at Slimbridge on 6 July 1778. It looks as if the Summerhills began their married life at Frampton, before moving to Saul in about 1786.

If anyone has any information on when and where James and Elizabeth Cratchley died (did they die in Dursley?), I'd be grateful.

Many thanks,

Tracey

Bob Cretchley

Post by Bob Cretchley »

Dear Tracey,

Thanks very much for this information. You can see from the various responses I have had to my original post, that I am building up a quite large picture of the many descendants of Cretchley daughters who married and had children. This is really very interesting for me. If you would be prepared to send me details of your family tree going back to Sarah and Stephen I would be most grateful; my home address is listed above. I would of course be happy to send any information about the Cretchleys to you. With regard to your question, Elizabeth Cratchley (nee Wiley) was buried in Dursley on 3/2/1769, but to date I have not found the details of James' burial. James was the son of James and Martha Crachly who lived in Kingstanley, where he was baptised on 15/4/1713. He had a sister Sarah (bpt 4/11/1701) and brother Thomas (bpt 15/5/1715). Elizabeth Wiley was baptised in Dursley on 6/1 1716. James and Elizabeth were married in Dursley on 6/5/1739.