Hancock

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
glamlad

Hancock

Post by glamlad »

Hello

I am doing a family tree and I have discovered that prior to 1890'ish every hancock in my tree was born in Dursley. My family line contains the following:

Sindey Hancock 1829
Emma Hancock 1830

Children

William, Thomas, Llewellyn, Orland, Elizabeth, Rachel, Charles, Andrew, Julia, Andrew, Mark and Samuel (all 1849 - 1870).

Llewellyn married Sarah Cross in 1872 and had the following children

Emma, Rose, LLewelyn, Harry, Rhoda, Emily, Mable, William, Julia, Lily,

The family then moved to Wales and had Sarah, Alfred and Robert !

With this many links, it would be nice to think that some descendants live on in Dursley.

Also, if anyone knows anything of these addresses I'd be grateful.

1) 68 Snooks hill
2) Slade Lane
3) 48 Union Street

I'd love to meet Hancocks still in the town.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: Hancock

Post by dursleyglos »

Hello there

Regarding the addresses you mention, Snooks Hill was an area of town near the junction of Union Street with Hunger Hill - the name is no longer used. Slade Lane is now known as The Slade (pronounced locally as Slad) but most of the cottages on it were demolished at the end of the 1950s. The same thing happened to Union Street, there are very few old buildings there now.

There are certainly Hancocks around still, two show up in the phone directory for Dursley and many in Gloucestershire.

I hope that helps.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

glamlad

Post by glamlad »

Thank you admin !

I am going to visit next year and see the town for myself. If there are any hancocks out there let me know.

emma_b

Post by emma_b »

Hi there,

I have just noticed your post regarding the Hancock family and you have mentioned both Sidney Hancock and Emma Woodward who are my 3x great-grandparents! As you may know Sidney and Emma had a son Charles who had a daughter Louisa (my great-grandmother) and she in turn had a daughter (my grandmother).

I currently still live in Dursley myself and have recently been helping my Mum who has done a lot of research on the family tree so I'm sure we have some information that may be of interest to you. I'm attemping to do some research at the moment myself into a family house in Slade Lane (sadly was demolished during 1970s). As you are probably aware, many of the family lived in both Slade Lane and Union Street at various points; although unfortunately I don't have any specific addresses to hand.

Anyway, if you have any specific info you would like about the Hancock family let me know and I will do my best to help!

glamlad

Post by glamlad »

Hi Emma

Thanks for the message, its nice to know that there are Hancocks in Dursley.
Im looking to learn more about the family, I have mapped quite a bit of them now on Genes Reunited.
I also have some pics from various books.

Can you email me ?

glamlad@yahoo.co.uk

N Hancock

glamlad

Post by glamlad »

As you can see the name lives on !

Sidney and Emma are also my great, great great grandparents. Id love to know where they are burried. I have a record which would indicate sidney died here but I havent reasearched that yet. I will be visiting dursley next summer, are there any graves in the area still standing >

Neil