Gainer

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
patti

Gainer

Post by patti »

I've traced my Gainer ancestors in London back to 1736 and found that maker of Dyes was a profession of the last but one.The others were mainly carpenters. I've noticed that there are some Gainers locally to Dursley (and a Gloucestershire Gainer was a dyer) and wondered if anyone has traced their ancestors of this name back as far as that and if so did one of them go to London? There are few pockets of this name, and London and Dursley seem to be the oldest, others coming over from Ireland but more recently and settling up north. I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who can make a link. Thank you.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: Gainer

Post by dursleyglos »

Hi Patti
Looking at the Parish records there are a few Gainers mentioned, notably:

Baptism
Parish Stinchcombe, Hester Gainer, 11 July 1708, Father Robert, Mother Ann

Marriages
Parish Uley, Elizabeth Gainer m. Thomas Stevens, 17 April 1720
Parish Stinchcombe, Hester Gainer m. William Harrison, 27 December 1727
Parish Nympsfield, Elizabeth Gainer m. Benjamin Mills, 11 June 1747
Parish Stinchcombe, Ann Gainer, Samuel Cutts, 11 May 1761

Regards
Andy
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

ava walker1952

Post by ava walker1952 »

My name is Ava Walker nee Gainer. I have lived in Cam and Stinchcombe for most of my life as have my ancestors. My father researched the family history before he died with the help of the Australian side of the family. We have a direct line back to the mid 1700s.I am one of the last members of the family as there are no male heirs. Please contact me via this website for more information.

patti

Post by patti »

Many thanks for replies!
As I've managed to trace my Gainers back to 1736 in central London with a possible link in the mid 1500s (very tenuous at this stage) I'm beginning to think that there can't be a connection with the Dursley/Cam group..alas! But if anyone has a Benjamin married to a Catherine who had a son in 1736 I'd be delighted!

ava walker1952

Post by ava walker1952 »

Have evidence of Gainers in Stinchcombe where I live in 1600s most of them farm labourers or carpenters some yeoman farmers. In mid 1700s Richard Gainer /Yeoman farmer/ from berkeley near stinchcombe had twelve children, at the moment he is the common denominator and my family seem to stem from him but must look into this further as they are scattered throughout the globe.I do know that there was a mass exodus from these parts in the industrial revolution when many emigrated to America and Australia as machinery took the place of manual labour.