Grace family in Dursley circa 1800

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
cgrace

Grace family in Dursley circa 1800

Post by cgrace »

Hi, I'm looking for information about Grace families in Dursley around 1800. An ancestor of mine, George Grace (born about 1807) was transported to Australia as a convict and I'm trying to trace his family back in England. His gaol records indicate he was convicted in Dursley, so I'm hoping he was born there. At the time of conviction, he was married to a Mary. I'd love to know anything about his family or descendants if you can assist. Thanks.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: Grace family in Dursley circa 1800

Post by dursleyglos »

Grace is not a name I've heard of in Dursley. I've just checked the burial records for St. James' and St. Mark's churches in Dursley and can't see any Graces listed at all. If I get the chance I'll check other churches.

There are a few Graces listed in the current telephone directory for Gloucestershire but none in the immediate area of Dursley.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

cgrace

Post by cgrace »

Thanks for checking the burial records for me!
It's a little disappointing that you didn't find any Graces at all, since I did find some evidence of Graces being in the area around 1800. The source - Bishop's transcripts for Dursley 1602-1812 says it has mainly records from the C of E parish church of Dursley - I believe this is St James? I searched it on www.familysearch.org and found 2 possible matches for my George Grace - one born in 1803 to a James Grace and Sarah Nash and one in 1807 to a John Grace and Hannah Nash. John and Hannah had a few other children around the same time, including an earlier George born 1805 and died 1806. I believe the George born 1807 is more likely because later records indicate his birth as being 1807-1811, but of course my George may be neither of these two. I was hoping someone might have some additional information and be able to confirm it for me.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

Hi there
My search of St. James, was not exhaustive, it only covered the records I have for tombstones in the cemetery. I have other Parish records for the 18th century which show many Graces in Dursley. This is obviously before the dates you mention but maybe worth knowing:

Dursley baptisms at the Parish Church
Surname, Forename - Baptism date - Father - Mother - Additional Information
---------------------------------------
Grace, Sarah - 29 June 1703 - James - Mary
Grace, John - 27 July 1705 - n/a - Sarah - bastard child
Grace, Lydia - 2 November 1705 - George - Lydia - Barber
Grace, Margaret - 29 December 1706 - John - Mary
Grace, John - 17 September 1708 - John - Mary
Grace, George - 31 October 1712 - John - Mary
Grace, Ann - 20 March 1716 - John - Mary
Grace, Lydia - 30 August 1718 - John - Mary
Grace, Thomas - 9 December 1721 - John - Mary
Grace, John - 11 October 1733 - John - Elizabeth
Grace, George - 25 February 1737 - John - Elizabeth
Grace, Thomas - 23 May 1746 - Thomas - Elizabeth
Grace, Ann - 28 November 1750 - John - Elizabeth
Grace, Lydia - 28 April 1753 - Thomas - Mary
Grace, Lydia - 11 July 1757 - Thomas - Mary
Grace, Betty - 30 May 1760 - George - Elizabeth
Grace, Hannah - 23 October 1761 - George - Elizabeth
Grace, Mary - 18 January 1763 - George - Elizabeth
Grace, Edward - 10 October 1766 - George - Jane
Grace, John - 27 March 1769 - John - Mary
Grace, Thomas - 5 November 1770 - John Mary
Grace, Ann - 15 May 1774 - George - Ann
Grace, George - 9 June 1777 - John - Mary
Grace, Thomas - 22 November 1796 - Thomas - Catharine

I have other records for 18th century marriages and deaths in Dursley.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

A Grace family lived at the Croft when I lived there which would be from the 1930's as I think they bought the house from Cam Mills, as did my grandfather. Mrs Grace was a hairdresser, they had two children and the son still lives there as far as I know.

ken

Post by ken »

I went to the Grammar School in Dursley in the late 50's, and there was a Leslie Grace in the same year, she lived at The Croft.
Her Father, Sidney, was my father's best man when he married in 1937.
Attachments
REGbestman.jpg
REGbestman.jpg (10.62 KiB) Viewed 7050 times

codger_75

Post by codger_75 »

Hi. Sid Grace was married to my Father's sister Joan and lived in the Croft, Their daughter Lesley lives in Spouthouse lane and son Ian still lives in the family home in the croft. I have a tree that goes back to the late 1700's.

kmgrace1+

Post by kmgrace1+ »

The George Grace you are referring to is my great, great, great grandfather. He was born in 1807 in Gloustershire and transported to Australia in 1832 for 7 years for stealing cloth. He became a lawyer upon release and a grazier at Jerrys Plains in New South Wales. He is buried in the old Anglican Cemetery at Jerrys Plains. He married Mary Ann Canty from Cork, Ireland. Mary Ann is buried in the old Catholic Cemetery at Jerrys Plains. They had 13 children, I am descended from the oldest son George. Funnily enough my husband is descended from the second son William...... I have lots of information, if anyone would like to contact me..
Cheers
Kim

cgrace

Post by cgrace »

Hello KmGrace1,
Great to hear your news, sorry for late reply. We are obviously off the Same George Grace. You mentioned you had more info, are we able to contact you via perhaps another email to discuss more of the tree connections please?
from cgrace

kmgrace1+

Post by kmgrace1+ »

Hi
Sorry I've been off for a while too....contact me on info@greygumcafe.com.au or greygumcafe@skymesh.com.au; we're obviously from the same line.
Cheers
Kim