John Bennnett c1818-1856 Cam

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
Marilyn

John Bennnett c1818-1856 Cam

Post by Marilyn »

Hi I am new to the forum and have just found it via somone who is in the srea and suggest someone on here may be able to help.

I am researching a family tree for a frind and we have got as far as John Bennett married to a Hanna ?
He was a master mason/tiler/plasterer and died c1856.
They seem to have had 6 children
George c1835
Sarah Maria c 1839
William c 1841
Selina c 1847
John c 1849
Arthur c 1852
all born in or around Cam.

I would love to find the marriage of John and Hannah as I can't find any records on line for the dat I think they married which is c 1834, she was born c 1819 so it can't be much before 1830 I don't think unless she leid about her age!

After Johns death Hannah re married a James Brawn in the Dursley area and they then went to live in Northamptonshire where he came from and lived the rest of their lives there so it is the parish records for Cam 1800 -1856 I would be interested in for the births of them both and the children their marriage and death of John if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: John Bennnett c1818-1856 Cam

Post by dursleyglos »

Hi Marilyn

I've no idea whether this is the one you were after but I found a record of a John Bennett marrying a Hannah Nicholas on 2nd April 1834 at "Temple, Bristol, Gloucester". This was online at the http://www.familysearch.org website.

Good luck.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn »

Many thanks I did wonder about that one is it close enough to be possible do you think? I am afraid I don't know the area so is that part of Bristol somewhere people from Cam may have married?

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

It's certainly a possibility, as it's only 25 miles or so from Cam. Where did Hannah come from though? If she was from Bristol then the marriage would probably have been close to where she lived. Perhaps she moved to Cam with him after they married to be near where he worked and lived. Did he definitely live in Cam before the marriage? I wouldn't rule it out but it needs checking obviously.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn »

On all the censuses I have from 1851 onwards they both say they were born in Cam as yet I don't know her maiden name. I think I will have to get her second marriage certificate and hope that has both her surnames on. In 1841 they are living in Cam and both say born in the county. He was a tiler/ mason/ builder so if there are any houses in Cam built around 1840-1850 me may have had a hand in them!!