Wood family of Dursley

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
Ashley Wood

Wood family of Dursley

Post by Ashley Wood »

Does anyone have any information or photographs regarding the Wood family of Dursley.
I have been reserching my family history using census records and what my father has told me, the following is a brief history of what i have found so far.

Joseph Wood,saddler(great great great grandfather) born in Dursley 1802,married sarah,had 7 children,Ellen,Edward,Ozmond,Joseph,James,Rachael,John.

Ozmond Wood, pork butcher and inn keeper(original star inn silver st)born in dursley 1835,married Martha Close,had 5 children.William,Herbert,Alfred,Henry,maude.

Herbert Wood,dairyman/farmer(castle farm)born in dursley 1865,married Mary Malpass,had 6 children Leslie,Herbert(Dick) Edric(Eddie) Eric,Francis and alfred(Bob) my grandfather,all Herberts' boys worked at castle farm with him until his death in 1926 Mary took over the running of the farm until it was put under a compulsory purchace order in the late 1950s when the family moved to Tates' hill farm and Hounds Green(house next to stragglers rugby club) and my grandfather,Bob lived at The Elms (now the vets in stinchcombe)

I have a few photos of Herbert and family at Castle farm,but would love to know if there are any more.

Does anyone have any information about Joseph Wood? or Ozmond/Osmond? or anyone else connected.

Any information would be most appreciated,

Ashley Wood

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: Wood family of Dursley

Post by dursleyglos »

Ashley Wood wrote:Does anyone have any information or photographs regarding the Wood family of Dursley.

Ozmond Wood, pork butcher and inn keeper (original star inn silver st)born in dursley 1835,married Martha Close,had 5 children.William,Herbert,Alfred,Henry,maude.

Herbert Wood,dairyman/farmer(castle farm)born in dursley 1865,married Mary Malpass,had 6 children Leslie,Herbert(Dick) Edric(Eddie) Eric,Francis and alfred(Bob) my grandfather,all Herberts' boys worked at castle farm with him until his death in 1926 Mary took over the running of the farm until it was put under a compulsory purchace order in the late 1950s when the family moved to Tates' hill farm and Hounds Green(house next to stragglers rugby club) and my grandfather,Bob lived at The Elms (now the vets in stinchcombe)
Thanks for your post. I would be very interested in any information you have on the Wood family in Dursley.
Ashley Wood wrote:I have a few photos of Herbert and family at Castle farm, but would love to know if there are any more.
I have a photo of the marriage of Francis Wood and Mollie Randall, taken at Castle Farm which I could send you and I would love to see any others, so perhaps you could contact me via the email link on my website.
Ashley Wood wrote:Does anyone have any information about Joseph Wood? or Ozmond/Osmond? or anyone else connected.
Not at the moment but I'll ask my contacts.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

Lin Horrocks

Post by Lin Horrocks »

Hi - just started to research my family history so finding all this information is really exciting for me.

My Grandmother was Martha Wood, daughter of William & grand-daughter of Ozmond.

My Grandmother died when my Mum was only 14 and we knew almost nothing of the family history except my grand-parents names and the fact that my Grandmother's family came from Silver Street in Dursley.

I still have a lot of gaps to fill in and actually have quite a few old photos but I don't know who's in them!

I'm going to see my Mum in a few weeks and maybe she'll be able to tell me a little more. Martha moved to Cheshire when she got married and so I think Mum didn't see much of the relatives from Gloucestershire but hopefully I'll be able to piece together a few more facts and put some names to faces.

Really glad to have found this site - been meaning to dig into the family history for ages.

Lin

Lin Horrocks

Post by Lin Horrocks »

I am trying to find out some more information about the demolition of the Star Inn c1900. My great grandfather William Wood was running the pub and butchers on the 1891 census (He took over from his father Osmond).

Everything seems to have gone wrong in the late 1890s. By 1901 William has gone to Birkenhead (Cheshire), Lucy died in 1899 (it is possible that William had already left) and the Star Inn was demolished. 3 of their children (including my Grandmother, Martha Wood) ended up in Dursley workhouse and the older 2 went to relatives.

Does anyone have any information regarding the Star Inn c1897-1903? I know it was taken over by someone else once it had been rebuilt. I am hoping to make a visit to Gloucester Archives to look at local newspapers and the workhouse records and I will post anything of interest that I find out.