Witchell Family 1860s

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
lynlou2

Witchell Family 1860s

Post by lynlou2 »

Hi all,
My great grandmother Jane Witchell I believe was in the Union Workhouse in Dursley in the 1861 Census (aged 5) along with her 7 year old brother George. They were the children of Samuel Witchell and Elizabeth Stephens. Samuel was charged some time after the Census for abandoning his 3 children, and at the time of the census, cannot be definitively located. Elizabeth (Stephens) Witchell was found in the area with her two elder boys Absalom and Charles Stephens. I believe the third child to be Ellen Witchell who was with relatives at the time of the census. I was hoping that someone local would be able to point in me in the right direction as to how I can find out more about Jane and George, especially in regards to their time in the workhouse. I would like to know how long they were there and where they went post their stay. The 1871 Census has the two staying with family members. I know that Jane married Samuel Bishop in 1874 and left for Australia soon after, and have some of her story post that move.

Any help you can provide me with is greatly appreciated.

Lyn