James Smith (Corkcutter) Gloucester

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
MIKE LEWIS

James Smith (Corkcutter) Gloucester

Post by MIKE LEWIS »

Hi, I am searching for a James Smith who was a Corkcutter (possibly born abt 1794) and wonder if the James Smith (Ropemaker) who died in Dursley 1866 age 72 might be that same person the witness at his death was a Priscilla Smith (with Brewer and Scott family connections). The following information might be helpful.The James Smith I am searching for married an Ann (not sure of her maiden surname) which may have been Lucas.
James Smith (Corkcutter) and his wife Ann had two children Ann baptised at St. John the Baptist Gloucester in 1817 and William also baptised at St.John the Baptist in 1820. Ann became a Shoebinder and married my second Great Grandfather Samuel Lewis (Tailor). in 1838 and William became a Tailor also and married an Eliza Ellen from Bath the family living in Duke Street, Cheltenham for most of their life.
I am wondering whether the above James Smith (Ropemaker) was the James Smith (Tailor) as shown on the 1851 census who married an Ann Lucas in Wooton under edge in 1814. From my research I see that the James Smith (Ropemaker) was connected to the Brewer and Scott families of Dursley.
Any help would be most appreciated.