The Jenners of Gloucestershire

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
stella herber

The Jenners of Gloucestershire

Post by stella herber »

I would be very grateful of any information anyone could give me about the Jenner Family. It appears that an ancestor of mine, Thomas Shipway, married an Ann Jenner in 1761 in Dursley. For some time I was led to believe that she was a relative of Dr Edward Jenner but I now understand that this is not so. As I live in Australia it is very difficult for me to research anything so if someone out there has any knowledge of the family history please contact me, I would be very grateful.

David van Kool

Re: The Jenners of Gloucestershire

Post by David van Kool »

My name is actually Joanna van Kool, but I gave up with the web page under this name ( kept refusing me) and went with my husband's. My mother was named Catharine Margaret Jenner Lister and, like you, she was told she was a descendant of Edward Jenner so hence the name. Like you, I also live in Australia (Sydney) and when we visited Berkeley Museum in 1997 I was told that I was not connected to Edward Jenner. Apparently a great many people have claimed descendancy who are not. We actually had, my uncle was told, the only extant portrait of Edward Jenner. It always hung in my grand parents' dining room and my uncle eventually gave it to the Jenner Museum where I fancy it now resides in the basement. All a bit of a mystery. I wrote a historical novel about some women forebears and did a lot of research, but sadly this did not cover the Jenner branch. I think a search with a genealogical guide (U3A or the like) would probably tell you all you need to know. If you'd like to contact me in Oz at some stage my email is jovankool@iinet.net.au and my phone number is 02 80127479. Happy to talk.