Posting interests - Woodward, Thurston, Tyndale

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
Russell

Posting interests - Woodward, Thurston, Tyndale

Post by Russell »

I would welcome discussion, etc, on any of the family surnames below:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/r-c/index.html

WOODWARD, Edmund; b. Dursley 18 Apr 1824 Jacob; b. Dursley 23 Jan 1794, Thomas; b. Dursley 10 Aug 1769, Thomas; d. Dursley 21 Apr 1772)
THURSTON, Harriet; b. Dursley 18 Feb 1795
TYNDALE, Alice; b. abt. 1535
Genealogy Surname interests;
Woodward
Thurston
Phillimore
Bruton
Newth
Sivier
Brook
Day
Lacy
Tyndale

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Newth

Post by dursleyglos »

Hi Russell

You mention Newth in your list of surnames. I have a photo of James Newth, taken at the end of the 19th century when he was the town's oldest resident, over 100 years old.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

Russell

Re: James Newth's photo

Post by Russell »

Thanks Andy, I'd love a photo of Mr Newth! and any information about him if possible.

Email to r-c@paradise.net.nz

Thanks again, and best regards,

Russell
Genealogy Surname interests;
Woodward
Thurston
Phillimore
Bruton
Newth
Sivier
Brook
Day
Lacy
Tyndale

dursleyglos
Site Admin

James Newth

Post by dursleyglos »

Hi Russell

I've sent you a photo of James Newth taken at the end of the 19th century when he was around 100 years old. I have more details on him which I will post here when I find them.

Bob Cretchley

Re: Newth

Post by Bob Cretchley »

[quote="dursleyglos"]Hi Russell. You mention Newth in your list of surnames. I have a photo of James Newth, taken at the end of the 19th century when he was the town's oldest resident, over 100 years old.[/quote]
I was very interested to see your reference to James Newth. I suspect this is the same James Newth who is a great, great, great grandfather to me. In the mid nineteenth century he had a furniture business at the end of Long Street, Dursley. I have in my possession a small, portable writing desk made there, and given to his daughter Elizabeth, which has passed down the generations to me. Elizabeth married my great, great grandfather, William Neale Cretchley, in Dursley in 1861. William Neale Cretchley was born in Dursley in 1832 and lived there until he was an adult when he moved to Kingswood, Surrey, where he ran a school. William Neale and Elizabeth had one child, William Robert, born in 1862. Just two months after he was born, Elizabeth died, and William Robert was sent to Dursley to be brought up by his maternal grandparents, James Newth and his wife (name not known). William Robert's paternal grandfather, Philip Cretchley, lived in Long Street at this time, where he worked as a "Cordwainer" (a maker by hand of good quality boots and shoes, using the customer's own lasts). From my research into my family history in Dursley, it is clear that the Newths were a long standing Dursley family. I would certainly like to know more about James Newth.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: Newth

Post by dursleyglos »

Hi Bob

The information I have about James Newth is that he was born in Dursley in 1814; became a cabinet maker following the trade of his father, also James.

He moved premises around Dursley until in the 1860s he settled in Long Street roughly opposite the present Gazette works (Reliance House). His son continued as a cabinet maker on this site after James left in the 1870s. This move would have been about the time James' wife died and may have been the cause of it. He settled in Wisteria House in May Lane with a second wife and her sister, both running a private school.

James died in 1917 having reached a grand old age of over 100. At the time he was living with his grandson, Herbert A. Newth, in the premises in Woodmancote that had been the Dursley Agricultural and Commercial Grammar School.

Below is a picture of James Newth you may be interested in.

I hope this is of some help.

Bob Cretchley

James Newth

Post by Bob Cretchley »

Thanks very much for the photo and information.

tewfig

Re: Posting interests - Woodward, Thurston, Tyndale

Post by tewfig »

Concerning Newth, in the house mentioned which was the Dursley Agricultural and Commercial Grammar School on Woodmancote, there is a pencilled inscription on a wall reading in part: "James Newth Jnr papered this room 23rd July 1860...".

KentGirl

Post by KentGirl »

Hiya,

I'm stuck on looking for the parents of Thomas Thurston b. abt 1752 in Dursley ...or surrounding area, I know he married Mary Smith in 1776 and then had children as Nathaniel Thurston b 1780ish is my great grandad x4. Any info on Thomas Thurston ... or anything would be good. Thanks

Sarah W

glamlad

Post by glamlad »

hello

I also have woodward in my Hancock Tree

Mum - Mary 1781 Cam?
Daugther - Caroline 1816
Daugther - Emma 1830 (married syd hancock)
Daugther - Selena 1823

Father unknown.

Terz135

Post by Terz135 »

Newth. - In 1838 James Newth of Dursley added a Hautboy stop to the Swell organ at Berkeley Parish Church. [Glos Archives P42 CW2/3].
A Bill from James Newth for £8.10s0d. survives for new bellows for organ, carriage, altering and tuning for work done on 15 Sept 1853 on the chamber organ at Chavanage House, Gloucestershire. [Glos Archives D 547a/E26]. There is another bill [E30] for materials a cabinet maker might use. I know of no more details of Newth's organ building work. Anyone know any more please?