TALBOYS/TALLBOY

Intended for anyone researching their ancestors.
lynjoy

TALBOYS/TALLBOY

Post by lynjoy »

Hi

I am researching the family of the TALBOYS/TALLBOY family in Dursley

To date I do not have any information on the Dursley connection to my
family

My Great Grandfather was James Edward Tallboy/Talboys born abt 1849
Dursley. I would love to find his family roots.

Any information on the families in Dursley or James would be
greatly appreciated.
Lyn

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Talboys

Post by dursleyglos »

Hi Lyn

In the 1851 census, there is a James Talboys listed as born in Dursley. His address then was "Snooks Hill". He was aged 4 and described as a scholar. His father was Thomas Talboys, aged 31 (rope spinner). His mother was Elizabeth and he had four brothers, Thomas, 8 (assistant rope spinner); Ephraim, 6 (scholar); Albert, 5 (scholar) and George, 10 months. There are also 20 other Talboys listed, born in or around the town.

The Talboys family was fairly prominant in Dursley particularly in the ropemaking industry. Talboys ropeworks existed prior to 1849 and well into the 20th century around the Parsonage Street and Boulton Lane areas. In 1900 there was also a Talboys blacksmiths in Silver Street.

Do a search on my site for Talboys which will show a few items. I hope that helps.
Last edited by dursleyglos on Sat May 01, 2004 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

terence newton

Talboys

Post by terence newton »

Hello Andy,

I too am researching the Talboys family. And like Lyn (with whom I am in contact) I am descended from a Thomas Talboys, but a different one! My Thomas was born 20 Aug 1821 in Dursley and enlisted in the army in 1837, giving his previous occupation as 'weaver'.
His father was Timothy, bapt 26 Aug. 1799 in Cam, who married Charlotte Groves in May 1819.

Andy, you say that a search on your site will reveal a few items for Talboys. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place, or pressing the wrong buttons, but I can't find anything further! I'd be most grateful for any pointers to taking this research further.

(I have traced the line back to a John Talboys born 1690 in Woodchester and can post the pedigree here, if you think anyone might be interested)

Terry Newton,
Heysham, Lancashire

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Talboys

Post by dursleyglos »

Lyn, Terry - I'm glad you found the information you were looking for. I would also be keen to find out more on your later ancestors as I have some pictures of various Talboys in the early years of the 20th century plus others showing the old Talboys forge in Silver Street.

There is no ropemaking industry in Dursley here now, although a small part of the works in Parsonage Street survives.

Terry, It would be really interesting if you could post any pedigree that you have found out, I'm sure there would be others interested. Regarding my site, try using the search box at the bottom of the home page. It will show one or two references.

Alan Edward Talboys

Post by Alan Edward Talboys »

Hi.
My grandfather James Edward (Ted) Talboys was the last blacksmith to run the forge just off Silver Street. I visited the town briefly in July, the forge building is still there but altered as to be hardly recognisable.
I have little information other than this, so any further information would be most welcome.
Regards Alan Edward Talboys.

coral hengst

Re: TALBOYS/TALLBOY

Post by coral hengst »

I am descended from Rhoda TALBOYS whose father was James TALBOYS (ropemaker) and his wife Ann LONG. Rhoda TALBOYS married William HOWELL who emigrated to Australia about 1853. I am interested in any photographs, information or the origin of the name Talboys. Some sites mention that the name Talboys was anglicised from de Taillebois.
Thank you. Coral.

bgareth

Post by bgareth »

Wooooo - I am a descending Talboys of the Aston Branch, can anyone help me with the story - how did some end up in Aston and how do the Aston branch link back. Aston branch split, we are from Coventry, down the road in the West Midlands :-) Thank you so much for this forum. Is Dursley very countryish?

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Hi, my name is Carolyn, my gandmother was Emma (emily) Tallboy, daughter of George Edward Tallboy B:May 29th 1850 -1924 and Emma Door B:1851 - 1891. They also had six sons who I did not know existed until early this year.

George was the son of Thomas Edward Tallboy B:30th August 1818 in Dursley died 11th September 1852, in Bolton Lane Dursley, married Elizabeth Harris on 9th October 1942. Other children were Thomas 1843, Ephraim 1845 - 1853, Albert 1846, James Edward 1847.

In 1851 Thomas and Elizabeth were living at Snooks Hill Dursley with five sons, Thomas was only eight and already shown as an Assistant rope spinner, Ephraim was aged 6, Albert aged 5, James aged 4, all shown as scholars and George only 10 months old.

Thomas Edward Tallboy died when George was only two, the whereabouts of his mother are not known, George is now 11 and is shown living in Dursley Union Workhouse with his older brother James. Ephraim died in 1853, not known at present what happened to the other brothers.

By 1871 George found work as a Labourer in the town of Stratton St. Margaret, Wiltshire and is lodging at Stratton Green. Thomas Edward Tallboy was the son of James Tallboy and Anne Long, Other children were:

Richard B:1816-1886
Charles B:1822 (about) died 23rd June 1885
James B:1824 D:1894
Elizabeth B:1836-1869

All lived in Dursley, Gloucestershire.

James Tallboy was born 26th January 1794 in Dursley and died on 1st Febuary 1877 in Lindon Street, Dursley. He married Anne Long 9th April 1815 (Anne was born about 1789). James and Anne are both 45 and are living with their five children in The Slade, Dursley. James and his eldest son Richard are both employed as Rope Makers and Charles is now a Blacksmiths Apprentice.

In 1851 daughter Elizabeth is at home with James and Anne along with a granddaughter Rhoda. 1861 James and Anne are living in Bolton Lane with Granddaughter Rhoda who is now aged 11. James is still a rope maker now aged 68 years.

Living next door is their son Charles' wife Sophia and their six children.

1871, despite both being 81 years of age, James is still a Rope Maker and Anne looks after four of her grandchildren, who are now living with them, William aged 16 is a Book Keeper, Ellen aged 12, Ralph aged 11 and 8 year old Annie are shown as Scholars. They have also moved back to Slade Lane.

I can go back further, I hope this is of interest to someone out there, it would be great to find some long lost relatives

Carolyn

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

Thanks for the post Carolyn. Attached here are some photographs of Talboys forge in Silver Street, Dursley.
Best Wishes
Andy
Attachments
Talboys family members outside the forge in Silver Street
Talboys family members outside the forge in Silver Street
talboys_forge_silver_street_4.jpg (54.32 KiB) Viewed 10476 times
Inside Talboys forge, Silver Street
Inside Talboys forge, Silver Street
talboys_forge_silver_street_3.jpg (40.95 KiB) Viewed 10476 times
View into the yard of Talboys Forge in Silver Street
View into the yard of Talboys Forge in Silver Street
talboys_forge_silver_street_2.jpg (48.42 KiB) Viewed 10476 times
Talboys Forge premises from Silver Street
Talboys Forge premises from Silver Street
talboys_forge_silver_street_1.jpg (78.22 KiB) Viewed 10476 times

coral hengst

Post by coral hengst »

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for your post. I am descendant from Rhoda TALBOYS whose father was James TALBOYS and mother Ann LONG. Would appreciate further information. I know that Rhoda married William HOWELL and emigrated to Australia and have some information on their descendants in Australia.

Unfortunately your post is a few years old, so I hope you receive this.

Coral