Cam Memorial Gardens

Have a photo of old Dursley to share? Post here to see if anyone can add anything.
Patricia

Cam Memorial Gardens

Post by Patricia »

Does anyone know the origins of Cam Memorial Gardens (not sure if this is the correct name). It is just past the Railway Pub on the left hand side.

I have a photograph of my mother on the steps

We used to play in there when children, but don't know whether it is still there

There used to be a village hall there as well
Attachments
Cam Memorial Gardens.jpg
Cam Memorial Gardens.jpg (68.77 KiB) Viewed 9359 times

PJAY

Re: Cam Memorial Gardens

Post by PJAY »

I remember the fish ponds there. The band stand was still being used. Best of all was the smell of Steel's bread opposite baking

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

The Cam Winterbotham Memorial Gardens opened officially on 13th July 1937. They were built as a memorial to Herbert Brend Winterbotham (1867-1925) and Blanche Anna Winterbotham (1872-1934) and made possible by their daughters. The Winterbothams lived at Norman Hill House and owned Cam Mills which closed down for the day to afford employees the opportunity of witnessing the ceremony.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

clwood

Post by clwood »

Hi i have some photos of the Cam Memorial gardens as it is now i could not get to the gardens as the gate was locked and when i asked some one about it he said the gardens are someone's house how true that is i don't know
Attachments
DSC01361.jpg
DSC01361.jpg (126.2 KiB) Viewed 9192 times
DSC01360.jpg
DSC01360.jpg (121.1 KiB) Viewed 9192 times

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

Thanks for the photos. You quite right, that what is left of the memorial gardens is now part of someone's private garden.
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin