Norman Hill House, Cam

Have a photo of old Dursley to share? Post here to see if anyone can add anything.
dursleyglos
Site Admin

Norman Hill House, Cam

Post by dursleyglos »

There has been a lot of discussion on the guestbook about Norman Hill House in Cam and the 'tower' which existed in the grounds so I thought I'd post a picture of the house here. I'm not sure exactly where the tower was in relation to the house though. Can anyone indicate where it is or was on the picture - could it be what seems to be the top of a small tower at the upper-right corner of the estate? Or maybe it's out of shot?
You can click on the picture to see it in full.
Thanks, Andy
Attachments
Norman Hill House, Cam, c1925 (courtesy David Evans collection)
Norman Hill House, Cam, c1925 (courtesy David Evans collection)
norman_hill_house.jpg (69.97 KiB) Viewed 40234 times
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: Norman Hill House, Cam

Post by dursleyglos »

The main road, 'Tilsdown', runs in the foreground out of picture and the mill of Hunt & WInterbotham is out of picture in the background. The trees to the lower left are still there and mark the entrance to the house off the main road. I'll post a more complete view later.
Andy

Rich Hughes

Post by Rich Hughes »

Hi, Andy Is that the only photo of the House?
Last edited by Rich Hughes on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rich Hughes

Post by Rich Hughes »

Would be nice to know where it actually stood as the drive up to the house was not necessarily straight, so it could be facing anywhere! would love to know why it became derelict and what became of the Hague family that once lived there, does anyone know anything about the estate or family etc.
P.S. There is a substantial amount of red brick, stone, and masonry in the orchard next to Norman Hill, is that to do with the House or is that another Building?

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

Hi Rich
I've attached another photo which shows Hunt & Winterbotham's mill (Cam Mills) in the background alongside Everlands. Chapel Street, Station Road and Upper Cam are centre left. Tilsdown is at the extreme bottom left corner of the picture. Most of this is now under houses!
Andy
Attachments
Norman Hill House, fields and mill, c1925 (courtesy David Evans collection)
Norman Hill House, fields and mill, c1925 (courtesy David Evans collection)
norman_hill_house_2.jpg (91.07 KiB) Viewed 40207 times

Rich Hughes

Post by Rich Hughes »

Cheers Andy, It all makes sense now.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

Here's a close-up of the front of Norman Hill House taken after a cricket match between Cam Mills and Dursley.

The gentleman to the left of the batsmen is Herbert Brend Winterbotham who became President of Cam Cricket Club and later played a part in setting up the Everlands ground in the 1920s. The batsman to the right is Arthur Strachan Winterbotham. He lays claim to being Cam's only representative cricketer. Arthur played 3 times for Gloucestershire in 1885 under W.G. Grace's captaincy and also had the honour of opening the batting for the MCC at Lord’s in 1886.

Cheers
Andy
Attachments
Norman Hill House and cricket club, 1896 (courtesy Neil Malpass)
Norman Hill House and cricket club, 1896 (courtesy Neil Malpass)
norman_hill_cricket.jpg (79.2 KiB) Viewed 40201 times

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

Thought you might be interested in this snippet from "The Bristol Mercury and Daily Post" for Wednesday, December 21st, 1881.

"WORKMEN'S TREAT, On Saturday evening last, by the kindness of A, B, Winterbotham, Esq., the works people recently employed by Mr. T. Bloodworth, builder, of this town, in effecting additions to the residence of the above gentleman at Norman Hill, were entertained to a dinner at the Bell and Castle hotel, at which about 46 attended. Mr. S. Bloodworth presided, and Mr. R. Garn occupied the vice-chair. During the evening Mr. Winterbotham gave an excellent speech on the labour question, which, with toasts and harmony, a very satisfactory and pleasant evening was enjoyed."

A. B. Winterbotham was Arthur Brend Winterbotham, owner of Norman Hill House and the mill. Mr S. Bloodworth was Sydney Bloodworth who owned the Bloodworth building company based in Parsonage Street in Dursley (where Iceland is now). He lived at Claremont House on Kingshill Road.

Andy

Rich Hughes

Post by Rich Hughes »

WOW, You must have a lot of Info at your disposal, I cannot expect you to keep putting photo's up but if you feel you must (I won't mind!) You have answered many questions I have been asking since I was around 7yrs old. Incidentally my family in the past have been great sportsmen for Dursley especially Footy and Cricket, (you have photo's on your site with em in) and its possible that they would have known that lot in your pic.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

A little bit of background on the people who lived at Norman Hill House. In the 1860s it was lived in by Arthur Brend Winterbotham, who along with Thomas Hunt, owned Hunt & Winterbotham's cloth mill in Cam.

On 15th Sep 1863 Arthur Brend Winterbotham (3rd son of Lindsey Winterbotham of Stroud) married Elizabeth Strachan (younger daughter of Josiah Greethead Strachan of Trowbridge), The marriage took place at Walcot Church, Bath.

Arthur and Elizabeth had three children as follows:
- 28th June 1864, a son. Arthur Strachan Winterbotham.
- 1865, a daughter, Emily Page Winterbotham
- 16th March 1867,a son, Herbert Brend Winterbotham

Arthur Brend Winterbotham became an MP in 1885 and died on 8th September 1892.
Arthur Strachan Winterbotham (the elder son) married Ada Caroline Mills on 24th June 1897

Elizabeth Winterbotham died on 15 June 1904.
Emily Page Winterbotham married Hiram Hague in 1904 and they continued to live at Norman Hill.
Hiram and Emily Hague had a son on 7th Sep 1909

Emily Page Hague died on 30th November 1932.
Major Hiram Hague died at Norman Hill on 15th Nov 1960 (aged 86).

Rich Hughes

Post by Rich Hughes »

Great Stuff, I researched the family but I found no trace of Hiram After Emily died. I suppose when he died no-one bothered with the house. I found out that the wall which was attached to the tower is actually listed, the family that live at the end of the wall (presumably where the tower was) were told (after asking if they could remove some of the wall) that it was listed.
P.S, If you ever come across Info or photo's of a cricketer and bowls player called Bert Hughes or a Footballer called Charles (Beckett) Hughes, I would be grateful if you would let me know. Cheers!!

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

Hi Rich
Could you tell me when Bert would have played cricket and bowls and Charles football? What teams were they in? I do have many sports photos and they could be in some of them. Is this Bert Hughes anything to do with the Bert Hughes who was once editor of the Gazette?

Rich Hughes

Post by Rich Hughes »

Hi Andy. They both played for Dursley from the 1920's right up to, I believe, the 60's. There are 2 photo's on your site with Bert Hughes in the Dursley Cricket Team. I dont know if Charles played Cricket for the town but he did for the football and his Nickname was "Beckett". Thanks for looking into this much appreciated!

Rich Hughes

Post by Rich Hughes »

Have been informed Charles also played Cricket for Dursley. Also please keep an eye out for a Reg Bird (Football). Same team as Charles, and Richard Bird (cricket Dursley 2nds), who are also my relatives. Also Bert never worked for the Gazette. Thanks for this Andy you're a star!

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

This is very interesting. Does anyone know what year this photo was taken? I have a faint recollection of Norman Hill House as this was a shortcut from the Croft to Dursley, where the Police Station is now.

My grandfather, Albert Brothers bought one of the first 12 houses built for employees of Cam Mills in 1933 at The Croft. I cannot see these houses or the recreation ground which was alongside the Croft.

It also appears to be before the houses along Everlands were built.

I was living at the Croft when Summerhayes was built.

Where the bungalows are built onto the approach to the Croft from Everlands were deep tanks. Threatened within an inch of our lives to play anywhere near them but a lot of children did swim in them.

Behind the red houses of the Croft where I lived was a field and a large tump which now has a bungalow on top.

Every Guy Fawkes night all the families would build a large bonfire and we would put our fireworks together and have a good evening.

Thank you very much, it's amazing how much you remember when you start thinking about your childhood.

Pat