Champion's products?

Dursley's smaller industries - carpet, furniture and rope making.
dursleyglos
Site Admin

Champion's products?

Post by dursleyglos »

Does anyone have any more details of the products that were produced in the two Champion factories? Details of the styles, materials, production methods and any of the staff are particularly welcome. Was anything else made other than carpets and rugs?
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

ken

Re: Champion's products?

Post by ken »

William Harrold (1841-1906) started his rope and harness making business in Twinberrow lane in 1879 before he later moved to Prospect House in Boulton Lane. He apparently learnt his trade at Champion's.

twenty909

Post by twenty909 »

A little out of context, but William Harrold was my great-grandfather. I understand that the rope factory he started is still operating and produces industrial belts.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

Harrold's isn't making ropes or belts in Dursley any more, although I understand the business may have been sold many years ago. I'm not sure where it moved to though.

twenty909

Post by twenty909 »

Hi Andy,
I understood they moved to Cam and are still operational. I will see what I can find out.

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Post by dursleyglos »

I think you're right that a company in Cam bought the rights to Harrold's old products though I'm not sure what name they now operate under.