Upper Cam Girls Church of England School

Tales from school days.
Patricia

Upper Cam Girls Church of England School

Post by Patricia »

I went to Upper Cam Girls School from 1948 to 1954

The headmistress was Mrs Tucker, who later went to Hopton School when the boys and girls schools were amalgamated.

The attached photograph was a concert we put on, I don't remember very much about it and would appreciate if anyone can enlighten me. I was the third from the left.
Attachments
School concert.jpg
School concert.jpg (82.67 KiB) Viewed 15084 times

dursleyglos
Site Admin

Re: Upper Cam Girls Church of England School

Post by dursleyglos »

Thanks for that Patricia. Can you remember any of the other names on the photo? What was the school like? Andy
Andy - Dursley Glos Web Admin

ken

Post by ken »

I went to Upper Cam Girl's School from 1947 to 1949 (the Infant's class was mixed). The Head Mistress was Miss Hayden, she married a Mr Tucker, a farmer from Upper Cam.

Liz Wright

Post by Liz Wright »

I (Elizabeth Spratt) went to Upper Cam Girls 1954-1960. Mrs Tucker was the Head Mistress and taught the upper class, Mrs Lewis taught the middle class and Mrs Savage the infants class. I remember the coke fire and gas lamps in the class rooms, playground games, hula hoops, ice slides in winter, Singing Together - the BBC radio programme, the big map of the British isles in Mrs Tucker's classroom. Some names I recall from those days, Maureen Beszant, Susan Mears, Shirley Storkey, Sandra ??, Elizabeth Garn. Perhaps through rose tinted specs, but they seem to have been happy innocent days with sunny summers and snowy winters.

Molly

Post by Molly »

My sister, Teresa Morrison, attended Upper Cam Girls' School from 1958 to about 1960. She had a lot of conflicts with Mrs Tucker and started to regularly play truant because she was so unhappy. My Dad eventually transferred her to Woodfields School where she fared much better. I spent my entire primary school career at Cam Hopton School and was very happy there (with Boss Parsons and Boss Howe). Went on to DGS while Teresa went on to Dursley Modern. I look back on my childhood there with very fond memories, all very 'Cider with Rosie'! I eventually was forced, because of my Dad's job, to move to the Medway Towns in Kent, which was an awful place to live after growing up in Dursley! Among the contemporaries I can remember from those days at Cam Hopton were: Phil Herbert and Phil Dean (my best mates!), Brian Tipper, Mike Iwasku, Brian and Phil Wilkins, Richard Marsh, Robert Vincent, Douglas Petherick, Barry Green?, Roger & Dave Martin (twins) & Chris Whelan. Mrs Tucker lived on Fairmead estate near us and had a beautiful daughter called Annette and a son called Adrian, who was a few years older than I was.
Happy Days!

Chris Morrison (Molly) :D
Basel, Switzerland

Marian Shattock

Post by Marian Shattock »

I went to this school through the war. I must have started in 1939 or 40. I have a photo on my first day there, complete with gas mask.
I remember using a slate and chalk. Also the water pump with a metal cup on a chain, in the playground.
I left in 1946 when my father changed his job. Lister's up until that time.
I visited Cam on Monday, this week. I found that the school is now two houses.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

I was actually third from the right in the photographs dressed in a nightgown with mop cap. I remember Joyce Hill, Margaret Eley, Ann Cleverley, June Whitcombe, Nancy Bayliss.